Sponsored by:

964 tip Tronic engine rebuild for resale question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 02:01 PM
maspirito
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts
Default 964 tip Tronic engine rebuild for resale question

we have a 964 engine that we are currently putting together to sell. It's a tipTronic engine that did not have the head gasket upgrade. Do you think that's a big red flag to put this engine back together again to sell it and what it might be worth like that with new bearings and head work etc. Would it be best to pick up a 3.8 kit and put it together with that and what do you think that might be worth ?
The engine was originally a 40,000 mile engine that demonstrated no leaks from the heads, and if you're familiar with these engines did not have the grooves in the jug to allow a gasket like the 930s.
Mike
Old 12-16-2021, 04:41 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 325 Posts

Some people believe that if you build the engine properly, it doesn't need the late model head gaskets. I just had mine redone and I had it machined to accept the gasket/rings/whatever they're actually called (along with new Ps & Cs). It's just one of those - if you're going to do it, do it right once and hopefully you won't have to address it again in the future.

Personally, unless you have a buyer who wants a 3.8, I would just build it as a 3.6. When upgrading an engine the buyer may have very specific wants and if they buy it after the fact, they can't do that.

I'm curious - if it's a 40k mile engine and had no leads, why did you tear it down in the first place? Was there some other issue that forced the need?

Quick Reply: 964 tip Tronic engine rebuild for resale question