Sponsored by:

Dash backdate question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 05:40 PM
spooky69
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Dash backdate question

I'm considering updating the interior and wondered how the strip along the dash is fitted. Is it easiest to get new dash parts to attach it to? I've searched but not found a guide to doing this.

I'm also considering the lower dash delete that Rennline do as I think it looks nicer than the standard lower dash.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:08 AM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Hmm wrong post and forum lol sorry
Old 01-31-2022, 05:19 PM
spooky69
Racer

Originally Posted by Libast
Hmm wrong post and forum lol sorry
Damn, I thought someone was about to answer my question.
Old 02-01-2022, 03:01 PM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

I have the Rennline 964 lower dash to fit but haven't got round to it yet because apparently if you have a glovebox then it does not fit because of the hinge...
Wish I knew that before I bought the part

I'm determined to make it work, so I'll have to get ingenious and think outside the box

The strip along the dash, are you referring to the sort of thing Singer use, like in the early 911s.
Rennline do these too but not for the 964, looks like a nice bit of kit but it's pricey! $£ Pricey $£

Snip from there web page.
Installation is relatively straight forward and involves the following steps:
  1. Removing your glovebox and all accessories from the dashboard.
  2. The Rennline Dash Backdate kit comes with provisions for the early HVAC Control, ignition switch, and headlight switch. If you would like to retain other switches, then you would need to drill the necessary holes into the dash overlay.
  3. If you would like installation a radio, there is a perforated punch out in the extrusion. You would just need to cut the hole in the extrusion insert
  4. Install the fascia over the existing dash frame using the supplied self-drilling hardware
  5. Install the extrusion to the fascia using the supplied flat head sheet metal screws
  6. Slide inserts into place
  7. Install extrusions end caps
  8. Install Accessories
Old 02-01-2022, 03:39 PM
spooky69
Racer

Originally Posted by 964George
I have the Rennline 964 lower dash to fit but haven't got round to it yet because apparently if you have a glovebox then it does not fit because of the hinge...
Wish I knew that before I bought the part

I'm determined to make it work, so I'll have to get ingenious and think outside the box

The strip along the dash, are you referring to the sort of thing Singer use, like in the early 911s.
Rennline do these too but not for the 964, looks like a nice bit of kit but it's pricey! $£ Pricey $£

Snip from there web page.
Installation is relatively straight forward and involves the following steps:
  1. Removing your glovebox and all accessories from the dashboard.
  2. The Rennline Dash Backdate kit comes with provisions for the early HVAC Control, ignition switch, and headlight switch. If you would like to retain other switches, then you would need to drill the necessary holes into the dash overlay.
  3. If you would like installation a radio, there is a perforated punch out in the extrusion. You would just need to cut the hole in the extrusion insert
  4. Install the fascia over the existing dash frame using the supplied self-drilling hardware
  5. Install the extrusion to the fascia using the supplied flat head sheet metal screws
  6. Slide inserts into place
  7. Install extrusions end caps
  8. Install Accessories
I'll be interested to see what you do regarding the lower dash part.

I am referring to that strip along the dash. There are a few people doing nice versions of this but installation instructions seem hard to find. It seems that a lot of what's on the existing dash needs to be removed but I'm not really sure how that would work, what's on there, etc. I know quite a lot of people have done this and I'd like to hear how they did it, tips, etc.

I'm not 100% sure I want to do it but I do like the look.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:27 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Honest question- Are folks aware that the 1987-1989 (and later RoW non-airbag) factory lower dash is a direct replacement to the heavy & chunky 1990-1998 piece? Or do people find the stamped metal rennline piece somehow better?

Back to the original question- it came up recently, the dash fascia pieces are glued on. They are a thin molded vinyl glued to a dense foam backing, which is then glued to the metal dash frame. Not easily modified, but possible.

Factory non-airbag 964 dash

Last edited by -nick; 02-01-2022 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-02-2022, 08:13 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by -nick
Honest question- Are folks aware that the 1987-1989 (and later RoW non-airbag) factory lower dash is a direct replacement to the heavy & chunky 1990-1998 piece? Or do people find the stamped metal rennline piece somehow better?

Back to the original question- it came up recently, the dash fascia pieces are glued on. They are a thin molded vinyl glued to a dense foam backing, which is then glued to the metal dash frame. Not easily modified, but possible.

Factory non-airbag 964 dash
That's what I have in mine currently.
The Rennline lower dash is one piece and slightly lower profile, just looks neater IMO
Old 02-02-2022, 08:19 AM
spooky69
Racer

I think the one-piece part looks better.

It's the parts that are glued on that interest me as it looks like it goes up above the part where the strip would go (over the radio, for example), so I'm guessing that you'd need to remove the glued on parts where the strip goes but somehow leave the parts that would be above that, or do something else with the parts that go above the strip.

I saw a build thread where someone had done this and sent a message but got no response and I was hoping that others who have done this could provide some details about the installation process, issues to overcome, etc.
Old 02-02-2022, 08:20 AM
spooky69
Racer

Originally Posted by 964George
The Rennline lower dash is one piece and slightly lower profile, just looks neater IMO
I agree.
Old 02-02-2022, 10:12 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Rennline version reminds me of the interior of a moving van, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Here’s one way to accomplish a backdate dash-
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ash-build.html
The following users liked this post:
964George (02-02-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 12:12 PM
spooky69
Racer

Rennline version reminds me of the interior of a moving van, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Here’s one way to accomplish a backdate dash-
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ash-build.html
I think I might buy the strip rather than going to those lengths. He has some skills!

It's the part above the strip that looks potentially aggravating.

Quick Reply: Dash backdate question