Sponsored by:

The Transformative Journey of my 964 Turbo [ Chanel ]

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 12:24 PM
JJ.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 90 Posts
Default The Transformative Journey of my 964 Turbo [ Chanel ]

Porsche enthusiast, ( journey album: http://jjporsche.com/964Turbo )

It was a great day when I met Marc and Saad [ Porsche of Warrington ] : I had the opportunity of becoming the next custodian of the 1992, 964 Turbo in Amazon Green Metallic that was just being sold by the family of Michael Murphy - a long time PCA member and pure Porsche enthusiast / collector of multiple 911 Turbos. It took a lot of faith in relationships, artists and mechanics to bring this 60K mile Turbo home ( Los Angeles ) as it has not been used in over a decade. What a great decision it turned out to be, I wanted to share a bit of this journey to thank this amazing community for helping me make this dream come true!

First, Porsche of Warrington : What an world-class organization. The level of integrity, professionalism and high ethics coupled with being true Classic Porsche enthusiasts made this journey so worth it. Marc Brenner, the GM and Saad Gilani my Porsche Ambassador are incredible. These people honored the name and heritage of Porsche of Warrington in ways that I have never seen before! They have won a customer for life and all the way from Los Angeles, California!! I took a leap of faith on them when I bought this car, and I can tell you that they went over and beyond to ensure that I have received nothing short of an exemplary Porsche experience. The body of work and effort they put in was not about $$$ : It was true good-will, a quality that is difficult to find in today’s transactional world. This team upheld every single promise they made me and then some, months after the purchase! Thank you Porsche of Warrington!!

Second this amazing community, @nathan1 - who’s sold me my only 964 C2 - as always, very instrumental and emotionally available to coach through the journey in making the best of the best decisions for the car as an enthusiast. @nathan1 is a world-class human, a dear friend that I am fortunate to be a Porsche enthusiast to have crossed paths with you! Thanks for being my walking live Porsche / 964 encyclopedia. What I have learned from you can’t be expressed in words. Thanks for being part of this 964 Turbo journey. I also like to thank @cobalt for helping me track the only owner of the car and some miscellaneous decisions that I wanted to make during the restoration journey. Finally, my dear friend Arling at @Rstrada for dropping what he was doing one late night to look over all the pictures of the car and give me sound advice on what to expect when I receive the car. Without you gentlemen, none of this would have been possible or fun.

Remembering Rudy @Opo : When the Turbo arrived, Rudy called me and said “You are more man that I am for daring to own and drive this beast, to congratulate you I put something in the mail for you” - 2 days later a FedEx truck shows in my driveway and inside of it a hand-written note from Rudy with a new 911 Turbo Porsche Car Cover! Over the next few weeks and ahead of his hospitalization - we spoke almost daily about what I am to do with this car. I wish he was around to see her done! Thank you Rudy for all the knowledge and support that you’ve passed on to me over the past few years, I miss you!!

Since arriving in July, we have been very busy with the car : My dear friend Brian Vaccaro at Impressions Auto-Salon of Santa Clarita, CA labored a solid 4 months on the car placing so much love and care into bringing her back from being a daily-driver that Mr. Murphy enjoyed for about 10 years to what it is today. Brian is more than just a PPF / Paint Correction expert. A true artist and car enthusiast : Brian placed 25 years of experience with so much love and passion to arrive at where “Chanel” is! During this journey, I stopped by the shop every single day to learn and enjoy. I was shocked by how transactional and impatient 99% of clients are!! Brian would have never gotten paid enough for his dedication, artisan and knowledge to bring this Turbo to a concourse 1 level!! Thank you Brian for your body of work!!

Why Chanel? Mr. Murphy was the CFO of Chanel, worldwide - in his honor, I decided to call her Chanel. When the car arrived and as I started to go through the paperwork box and finding some of his personal papers in there like his eyeglasses prescription, I came to learn that he and I share the same birthday!! November 20th!! Can’t make this stuff up, it is truly been such a pleasure to work with so many people to make this 964 Turbo story happen!! Michael Murphy’s son told me that his father would be so proud.

Why Porsche? It is not just the cars and their perfect balance of Design and Engineering : It is YOU, the People + Culture!
Enjoy the Transformative Journey of my 964 Turbo : http://jjporsche.com/964Turbo
Attached Images  

Last edited by JJ.Porsche; 11-14-2021 at 12:57 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JJ.Porsche:
28gts (11-14-2021), 964TURBOCHAS (11-19-2021), LOMartin (11-24-2021)
Old 11-14-2021, 01:01 PM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 404 Likes on 122 Posts

I am so glad you were able to bring this 964 back to it's full glory. It has been so much fun to be part of this journey! The best part for me was you were just starting with your Amazon Green while I was putting the finishing touches on this Amazon Green 3.6. Now there are at least two world class Amazon Green 964 Turbo's in the world! Enjoy!

The following 2 users liked this post by nathan1:
964TURBOCHAS (11-19-2021), JJ.Porsche (11-14-2021)
Old 11-14-2021, 01:19 PM
JJ.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Thank you @nathan1 - this gorgeous 3.6 Turbo was an inspiration for me throughout the journey. What a gorgeous 3.6 Turbo and beautiful shot. Thanks again brother!!
Old 11-14-2021, 02:27 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

You managed to bring a piece of history back to present days with this project. Car looks and sounds great and happy birthday next week. Quite a gift to yourself. Enjoy in great health.
The following users liked this post:
JJ.Porsche (11-14-2021)
Old 11-14-2021, 09:19 PM
JJ.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by br911
You managed to bring a piece of history back to present days with this project. Car looks and sounds great and happy birthday next week. Quite a gift to yourself. Enjoy in great health.
thank you!! Can’t wait to go for a long costal drive on November 20th!!
Old 11-15-2021, 08:23 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

@JJ.Porsche I was glad to be of assistance. I love to hear a good story and I have no doubt Mike would have been very happy to know his beloved turbo is in such good hands. ( I hate to admit it but the car never looked so good)

Seems funny how Amazon green 964's seem to be getting transformations. I am not sure if you are following my slick top thread but I am going a bit crazy on this one as well. Mine is not a restoration as I am modifying the car from original but she will be good to go for another 30 years.

Here are some of the minor details I have yet to find time to post. Much of the hardware will not be seen but every nut bolt and speed clip is being replaced with new or fresh cad plating (better than factory aerospace plating) and will be good to go for decades. My C2 has about the same mileage and I just had my Bday on the 1st of this month so a bit early but happy Bday as well to you and many healthy happy miles of driving Chanel. 👍

Old 11-15-2021, 11:02 AM
JJ.Porsche
Rennlist Member

@cobalt : I have enjoyed all the pictures and posts on your Amazon Green! We are broken inside 😂
Thanks again for the help brother, be well - JJ
Old 11-19-2021, 03:48 PM
JJ.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Update : channel getting her Speedlines, new suspension, corner balance and alignment - by my awesome Porsche dealer: Porsche of Santa Clarita!!

heliolps2 (11-22-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 07:13 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Nice stance!!👍
Old 11-19-2021, 07:47 PM
JJ.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
Nice stance!!👍
@cobalt thank you! - should I do spacers?
Old 11-22-2021, 12:33 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JJ.Porsche
@cobalt thank you! - should I do spacers?

You could I wouldn't do more than 5mm this way you don't need to swap out the studs.
Old 11-22-2021, 11:22 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 105 Posts

LOVE, LOVE that color, can you give us info on that car cover ?
Old 11-23-2021, 10:00 AM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 276 Posts

I don't know what it is about pictures of cars getting alignments, but I love them. The cars always look great and yours is definitely no exception!!

Mr. Wolfe
JJ.Porsche (11-23-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 08:19 PM
JJ.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by heliolps2
LOVE, LOVE that color, can you give us info on that car cover ?
hello my friend - DM In your inbox with info.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:22 PM
JJ.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Wolfe
I don't know what it is about pictures of cars getting alignments, but I love them. The cars always look great and yours is definitely no exception!!

Mr. Wolfe
totally agree!!!!! Specially if they are being corner balanced and you see cool fine lines running across …. 🤤

Quick Reply: The Transformative Journey of my 964 Turbo [ Chanel ]