Best racing exhaust sound with no drone and Porsche note

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 09:06 PM
Maxi_z
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Best racing exhaust sound with no drone and Porsche note

My 964 is fitted with a Tusche exhaust system

It s a racing design with no heater or valves ( similar race design available from other brands as Cargraphic or Fuchs ) with dual exit and the sport catalyzers fitted in the rear center " double cone "

I really like how the exhaust is made and also the performance and quality is good, only small complaint is that there is some drone, and it loses some of the classic Porsche air cooled exhaust tone

I would like some opinion on other similar or sligly less racing systems regarding drone and noise ( should still be without heater and without valves and dual exit )

Maybe someone have fitted the same style versions made by Fuchs or M&M or Cargraphic or other brands as I d like to know if it s this kind of design that makes some drone or if it s just the Tusche version.

I also found on the Tusche website pictures of the same exhaust ( Titanium version ) but with extra side silencers but don t know if those would reduce drone or just lower the noise.

Thanks

Old 11-12-2021, 07:19 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxi_z
My 964 is fitted with a Tusche exhaust system

It s a racing design with no heater or valves ( similar race design available from other brands as Cargraphic or Fuchs ) with dual exit and the sport catalyzers fitted in the rear center " double cone "

I really like how the exhaust is made and also the performance and quality is good, only small complaint is that there is some drone, and it loses some of the classic Porsche air cooled exhaust tone

I would like some opinion on other similar or sligly less racing systems regarding drone and noise ( should still be without heater and without valves and dual exit )

Maybe someone have fitted the same style versions made by Fuchs or M&M or Cargraphic or other brands as I d like to know if it s this kind of design that makes some drone or if it s just the Tusche version.

I also found on the Tusche website pictures of the same exhaust ( Titanium version ) but with extra side silencers but don t know if those would reduce drone or just lower the noise.

Thanks

Stock 964 3.8 RS used what appears to be a 993 setup, yours appears to be a modified version of that, On my own 993 w/ 3.8Rs power I use cat by pass pipes and stock 993tt side mufflers, no drone and Lime Rock legal as far as sound intensity goes( A very tough bar) .

I'd try a set of either stock 993 side mufflers or better 993tt side mufflers
Old 11-14-2021, 04:39 AM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 81 Posts

i have also the tusche (made for skramovsky) version. It is a little bit different from yours here, shown at the pictures... Some dudes have other header systems (DW from germany or MM). DW i pure bespoke and could be done to your needs. MM are brutal loud after some kilometers and drone a lot...

My tusche exhaust is not loud (my convertible with cup-pipe and 200cell exhaust is louder than the header equipped track coupe with tusche) and does not drone. Not at all.... I also has a plug-in silencer, which was removed at mine :-)

I had mine made without head and after to freezing trackdays at redbull-ring late in the year, i had the to re-fit a heater to my exhaust...

Perfect so far for me....
Old 11-15-2021, 11:33 PM
fnckr
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Stock 964 3.8 RS used what appears to be a 993 setup, yours appears to be a modified version of that, On my own 993 w/ 3.8Rs power I use cat by pass pipes and stock 993tt side mufflers, no drone and Lime Rock legal as far as sound intensity goes( A very tough bar) .

I'd try a set of either stock 993 side mufflers or better 993tt side mufflers
What is the difference between the 993 and 993tt side mufflers?
Old 11-16-2021, 03:29 AM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

An other option could be, to speak with them am send them the silencers for repacking... Depending on age, the exhaust gets more and more noisy and the tendency to drone...
The following users liked this post:
kos11-12 (11-17-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 04:11 AM
Maxi_z
Racer

Originally Posted by koenig_roland
An other option could be, to speak with them am send them the silencers for repacking... Depending on age, the exhaust gets more and more noisy and the tendency to drone...
Thanks for your reply

I would like maybe to fit those two extra side muffles that are not there on my system

I sent an email to Tusche to know if they can sell them ( the picture is from their website but on a titanium system ) but for the moment they did not reply

Old 11-16-2021, 04:14 AM
Maxi_z
Racer

Originally Posted by koenig_roland

I had mine made without head and after to freezing trackdays at redbull-ring late in the year, i had the to re-fit a heater to my exhaust...
On my car everything from the heater system was removed, so I think it s a bit complicated to fit back everything, but I see what you mean

I would like to fit one of those electric heater system, and maybe electric aftermarket air conditioning to fit on the front trunk

Do you have a picture of your Tusche exhaust?

Thanks

Old 11-16-2021, 05:49 AM
Mikke_Possu
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for your reply

I would like maybe to fit those two extra side muffles that are not there on my system

I sent an email to Tusche to know if they can sell them ( the picture is from their website but on a titanium system ) but for the moment they did not reply

I have M&M system and I added another silencers like pic and it make my system super quiet and absolutely no drone at all. However, in 964 you have to change oil line to make more room for silencer.
Old 11-16-2021, 07:34 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by fnckr
What is the difference between the 993 and 993tt side mufflers?
The tt have a more efficient flow scheme using continuous perforated piped, wrapped w/ f/g, the n/a use 2 separated pipes, the inlet just dumps into the can where the gases expand and swirl losing energy eventually finding their way to the exit, this latter scheme is fine for noise control but poor for flow
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Verburg:
964George (03-07-2022), fnckr (06-23-2022)
Old 11-17-2021, 04:03 AM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

On my car everything from the heater system was removed, so I think it s a bit complicated to fit back everything, but I see what you mean

I would like to fit one of those electric heater system, and maybe electric aftermarket air conditioning to fit on the front trunk

Do you have a picture of your Tusche exhaust?

Thanks
not complete... sorry.

When i put the car at the jigs in two weeks for hibernation work over the winter, i can try to make some good pictures...
Old 03-01-2022, 02:29 AM
Maxi_z
Racer

Thanks everyone for the replies

I tried to contact Tusche by email by got no replies, anyone knows if they are still in business or could maybe send them a quick message in German ?

Of course as most exhausts are not cheap I d like if possible to first fit some side extra silencers as it would be easier and cheaper.

I got a few pictures of the different systems from cargraphic , some for the 993 but that can be fitted on a modified widebody 964 , if anyone could comment on the different designs and what sound to expect.

Old 03-01-2022, 10:32 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

I am running equal length headers to valved Ti GT3 back box. It drones more than I like so I’m looking fit an alternative solution, while maintaining the center exit.

One option I’m considering is the use of Corsa mufflers, which have anti resonance chambers built in to the muffler. Currently talking to my mechanic about this. I don’t think anyone else has run them before so I may have to be the guinea pig.

It’s annoying but once you start modifying you are often 1 of 1 for a particular setup.

Last edited by BLACK3.2; 03-01-2022 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-02-2022, 03:04 AM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

hi Maxi,
if interested, you can send me a message with your mobile and your mail and i`ll try to contact Tusche and ask them, if they can call you back or if they`ve somebody you can call in your language :-)

Tusche is still in business and it seems to be a bigger business than ever before.. the`re doing the whole Audi Motorsport exhausts for example...

But for the noise and the drone, it is not just the exhaust that is responsible for that. A friend of mine has the M&M header exhaust in his car and it was fine. After a 4.1l conversion with bigger (monster) cams and higher compression rate, the same exhaust is droning like hell and is super loud with a quite deep (cool) tone...
Old 03-02-2022, 03:35 AM
Mikke_Possu
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Just sharing my experience. I've been using M&M system ~8 years and when I installed it, it was fantastic. Love the sound and no drone at all. (well, just a little bit ~2400rpm) but it didn’t bother me or the other passengers at all.
Drone started to increased after about three years. I sent muffler to independent exhaust company and they opened the muffler. Wool was quite bad shape. They change them to new one and added inconel shell. It worked short time so I sent my car there and I asked them to make it quiet. They added two new mufflers and it became super quiet. Some says it became too quiet but I love it.

Whole journey became stupid expensive and with this experience, I probably go 993 solution.

Last edited by Mikke_Possu; 03-02-2022 at 03:36 AM.
Old 03-06-2022, 08:40 AM
Talat
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a similar system (Tusche) fitted to mine and although it's loud, I don't get any drone. On my previous engine setup I did replace the back box and added additional silencers and this made a huge difference to sound. I have since gone back to the original config on my current engine.

​​​​​​
View this post on Instagram

Quick Reply: Best racing exhaust sound with no drone and Porsche note