Sponsored by:

Quartz Clock

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 09:04 PM
Kabell
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quartz Clock

[SIZE=3]How do you trouble shoot clock problems? At what point do you finally give up and get a new clock. What is the stock number for the C2 1990 clock with all the built in warning lights,etc? Help!
Old 04-14-2004, 11:15 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two ways to troubleshoot. Do a search and find the thread about freshening up the soldering points on the back side. Option 2 is to send the clock to Palo Alto Speedo. They can diagnose its health.

Don't know the part # but these come up on eBay fairly often. I have a newer one in mine from a '93, $65. Watch for the on board computer (OBC) option if your car is not so equipped. There may be some compatability issues. Anyone?
Old 04-14-2004, 11:48 PM
Kabell
Track Day

Many thanks, that gives me a place to start.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:17 AM
sharnell
Intermediate

My clock is making some weird grinding noise. I really notice it after I turn my car off. (That's because the of the engine noise.... right...)

Anyway, sometimes it just loses time, like it will be an hour or two behind after sitting for a while.

Kabell: does your clock act like mine?
Old 04-15-2004, 11:50 AM
Kabell
Track Day

Sharnell-Nope, mine just sits there in space and No time. I can set it with the advance button, allbeit somewhat erratic; but after its set is stays in one place. No noises or other symptoms that I have noticed. I thought about the ebay route, but I am not comfortable getting someone elses problems. The parts guys say that the "new" part number for the clock replacement is 993 041 701 00. I hope that doesn't mean I end up with a compatibility problem or maybe the 993 clock is a plug and play deal, I don't know. Anyway that is why I am asking here as I know the folks on this board have been down this path and others more complicated and will know if any would. Appreciate your clock comments.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:00 AM
Kabell
Track Day

Final Diagnosis 'n Fix: For those with similar gremlins, my Klock Kaput! After fuse replacement...ah ha!!...That's got it...oops!!...No it doesn't, etc., I finally got the ticker out of the dash for a second time and found the single lead wire to the plug in connector was (or had been) hanging by a single strand or two way down in the connector. I guess it was enough to let me advance the hands with the switch, but not good enough contact to run? At any rate it must have separated upon first re-install and touch the back of the printed board and that was all she wrote. Took the connector apart and re-soldered a wire into the connector and installed a bullet connector on the line to permit more play and easy separation with out prying or pulling on the plug. Got another clock and installed and back to having time on my hands. Thanks all for the advise.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:21 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! Thanks for the follow up.

Quick Reply: Quartz Clock