Sponsored by:

The way this board is run....

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 05:32 PM
Phoenix
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The way this board is run....

Im not sure if all have noticed it, but this board has changed somewhat......I love rennlist.....why.....because its a community and we are a group of (mostly) men who love our cars, and the transfer of information that improves our situation. Ive noticed that the powers that be here do not allow this all the time. Especally when it comes to non memeber adds that have to do with material goods, the non member classifieds have been deleted. What does this mean to the average use.....some percentage of porsche parts at whatever cost go unavailable to you. There is a large number of people out there who have owned porsches and have garages full of stuff they would like to get rid of but are not crazy enough about porsches to pay to join our board. I say that if the moderators truly had our best interests in mind they would reinstitute the non member classifieds as opposed to worrying about the profit margin this board makes.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:39 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, one thing I can say is that you can be 100% sure that John D's motivation for the way Rennlist operates has nothing to do with profit margins and all to do with doing the 'right thing' by people. Especially the people that have become members.

Have you asked John D. about this?
Old 04-14-2004, 05:48 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally posted by Phoenix
...when it comes to non memeber adds that have to do with material goods, the non member classifieds have been deleted. ... I say that if the moderators truly had our best interests in mind they would reinstitute the non member classifieds as opposed to worrying about the profit margin this board makes.
Thanks for your opinion. You can always list them on e-Bay - one ad will probably cost more then one years Membership - then you can always use e-Bays dispute resolution system - should there be a problem - which of course, there never would be a problem on e-Bay.

Or - you can join PCA - and list them there. That's what - $42 per year? And oh - only other PCA Members can see your ads..?

Hmmm - it is a perplexing problem? However - please be assured that the reason only Members can post their items is because a) I do have their best interests in mind, and b) when there is a "profit" - I'll be certain to worry about it. In the meantime - I won't quit my "paying - day job"...

Thanks for your input....
Old 04-14-2004, 06:07 PM
Phoenix
Intermediate

you still havent shed any light on the reason that the free transfer of information between the members of this community is beign obstructed.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:47 PM
JonSeigel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: The way this board is run....

There is a large number of people out there who have owned porsches and have garages full of stuff they would like to get rid of but are not crazy enough about porsches to pay to join our board. I say that if the moderators truly had our best interests in mind they would reinstitute the non member classifieds as opposed to worrying about the profit margin this board makes.
Some people will complaint no matter what.

1. Is paying something around $20.00 (I forgot exactly how much membership costs) really asking too much? Especially when using the board, which is viewed by thousands of Porsche owners a day, for profit?

2. To say that the moderators, who put in a lot of time for *no* compensation, don't have our best interests is insulting. John D. and John B., who have responded to your post without showing a bit of anger, certainly have more self-control than I would have if I were them.

As always, thanks to John D. and all the moderators for their selfless hard work.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:34 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Re: The way this board is run....

Originally posted by JonSeigel
Some people will complaint no matter what.

1. Is paying something around $20.00 (I forgot exactly how much membership costs) really asking too much? Especially when using the board, which is viewed by thousands of Porsche owners a day, for profit?

2. To say that the moderators, who put in a lot of time for *no* compensation, don't have our best interests is insulting. John D. and John B., who have responded to your post without showing a bit of anger, certainly have more self-control than I would have if I were them.

As always, thanks to John D. and all the moderators for their selfless hard work.
Aside from these most salient of points raised by Jon, from a pure consumer standpoint I would buy from members way before non-members. Its only $20 but generally its been spent because that person is a true enthusiast and shares a passion and love for the cars rather than someone trying to make a quick buck!

Anyway...come back and debate once you've signed up for YOUR membership!
Old 04-14-2004, 07:42 PM
adewatson
Instructor

Phoenix,

You seem to have missed the point. Bandwidth costs money, running Rennlist costs money.

Should you or others wish to sell items on Rennlist then I suggest you forgo the first $20 of your garage clearout proceeds.

Also members tend to pay for membership by credit card thus creating an audit trail. This prevents unsrupulous individuals from ripping people off (spookily enough similar to ebay registration??) as they can be tracked down.

Should you feel that this is unreasonable it may be worth continuing on this tack. I feel, however you would be wasting your time.

Best regards

Adrian
Old 04-14-2004, 08:47 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

This forum is run with a high degree of professionalism. Let's thank the moderators, and move on to something positive. I am perfectly fine with keeping commercial content at a low moderate level.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:00 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Phoenix, who are you?

I've never seen you before on this board, you've not added one jot as far as I'm aware to my enjoyment of these boards. I guess I'm saying that don't presume you speak for the likes of my best interest - you don't.

As for the non-member ads - well John D posted at some length when the decision was taken to stop them here and I, for one, agreed with the thinking. There is eBay, Pelican etc.

So quit wasting bandwidth and if you don't like Rennlist (and you obviously don't like it enough to pay the membership fee) then go elsewhere.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:14 PM
adamsbr
Addict
Rennlist Member

some percentage of porsche parts at whatever cost go unavailable to you.
I don't miss them.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:16 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally posted by Ruairidh
Phoenix, who are you?

here is the same post from the 993 board that the troll is exposed:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=127505
Old 04-14-2004, 09:57 PM
investlt
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you still havent shed any light on the reason that the free transfer of information between the members of this community is beign obstructed.
Phoenix,

It is obvious that the transfer of information between members is not obstructed. All you need to do to participate is pay $17 and become a member. So why not join?
Old 04-14-2004, 10:39 PM
targatime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Thanks for your concern..NOT

capitalism has everything to do with an open and free market..although not the type of "free" Phenix is talking about.

Free describes total freedom of choice. The Rennlist market would decide to go somewhere else if they were not being served...and I for one, am not going anywhere!!

I made my free choice...and became a member...but thanks for looking out for me.

By that same argument, I should be a member of Augusta National...I'm funny and love to play golf.....those members are missing out by not having me there!!
Old 04-14-2004, 11:24 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by DJF1
here is the same post from the 993 board that the troll is exposed:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=127505
Got it. Thanks Danny
Old 04-15-2004, 12:02 AM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Gee John, I really feel ripped off. I figure I'm spending a whopping 4 cts. an hour (and that's generous) for the entertainment, advice & camaraderie I glean fron Rennlist. Who knows how much I have saved on repair bills & potential bad decisions. Not to mention the money I have saved & made buying/selling to other members. Give me a break! Sorry, but these kind of posts just really **** me off! I'll get off my now. Oh, and I like the idea over on the 993 post about only Members being able to post. Users could still search, etc., just not post. Maybe you should do a poll (hint, hint)

to many more great years of Rennlist!

Quick Reply: The way this board is run....