Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 cup pipe

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 04:30 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 974 Likes on 634 Posts

with temps of 105 on saturday and 103 on sunday, i had to wait until last night to get the Fister installed and it was still stupid hot.

i haven't gotten the car out yet, as i'm also adjusting the ride height at the moment, but i think this could be the final configuration. still has a nice crack on start up, but the idle toned down just a bit - still sounds very good. the car was just too loud at idle before. the revs i've attempted so far seem quite a bit more crisp with a reduction of the unwanted loud/bass nature. pretty sure i'm going to get the sound i've been after once i get it out and hit WOT.

The following 2 users liked this post by rsabeebe:
PAOLOP (06-14-2022), Trapps (01-17-2023)
Old 06-13-2022, 04:39 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 120 Posts

Awesome! Great vid! It does sound nice and crisp, maybe a bit of V8 rumble but also good and raspy. That's with the primary bypass too, correct?

From the video is may be too loud for my use, since I'll have the family in the car a lot. How loud is it in person – is it annoy-the-neighbors-on-startup loud?
Old 06-13-2022, 05:10 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by forbiddenbeat
Awesome! Great vid! It does sound nice and crisp, maybe a bit of V8 rumble but also good and raspy. That's with the primary bypass too, correct?

From the video is may be too loud for my use, since I'll have the family in the car a lot. How loud is it in person – is it annoy-the-neighbors-on-startup loud?
correct. this is with the primary bypass. you can see the cup pipe in the top image.

very hard to describe sound and/or volume to someone - so very subjective. prior to this change, it was a bit too loud even for me. it didn't bother me on acceleration, but under normal neighborhood driving and idling, it was just too much. i think the fister is going to cure all that perfectly. as it sits, this is still between my GT3 with the kline system and my 993 with 200 cells and Fister IIIs. unless you can hear a system in person, it's so hard to convey the results.

my neighbors know i'm the car guy, so they are used to it to some extent. the 964 is certainly no worse than some others and they never complain. i'm as respectful as possible in the neighborhood. we have lambos, mclarens, cobras, astons, ferraris, etc. in the neighborhood also, so i don't necessarily stand out.

Old 06-13-2022, 06:20 PM
torresmd
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Sounds great. Thanks for the write up and video.
Old 06-13-2022, 07:50 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
correct. this is with the primary bypass. you can see the cup pipe in the top image.

very hard to describe sound and/or volume to someone - so very subjective. prior to this change, it was a bit too loud even for me. it didn't bother me on acceleration, but under normal neighborhood driving and idling, it was just too much. i think the fister is going to cure all that perfectly. as it sits, this is still between my GT3 with the kline system and my 993 with 200 cells and Fister IIIs. unless you can hear a system in person, it's so hard to convey the results.

my neighbors know i'm the car guy, so they are used to it to some extent. the 964 is certainly no worse than some others and they never complain. i'm as respectful as possible in the neighborhood. we have lambos, mclarens, cobras, astons, ferraris, etc. in the neighborhood also, so i don't necessarily stand out.
Yep, totally hear you ha ha. And one person's loud is another person's boring.

I guess my primary concern would be loudness for passengers. Would love your thoughts on interior noise once you get to drive it!

Last edited by forbiddenbeat; 06-14-2022 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-14-2022, 01:02 PM
unicorn2
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 46 Posts

I could also post a video of my setup. Stock Cat, stock primary but with the SCART secondary bypass. Im actually thinking of going with the Fister mod secondary muffler instead as I would like something a little quieter.
Old 06-14-2022, 03:31 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 144 Posts

Sounds like it idle bounces after a blip.
Old 06-15-2022, 05:37 AM
spooky69
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
we have lambos, mclarens, cobras, astons, ferraris, etc. in the neighborhood also, so i don't necessarily stand out.
With Lambo's in the neighbourhood I doubt they even realise you have started the engine on your 964.

It sounded great at startup in your video.
Old 06-24-2022, 11:20 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Any driving impressions of the Fister?
Old 06-27-2022, 02:32 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by forbiddenbeat
Any driving impressions of the Fister?
yes. i got caught doing a height adjustment on the car after the fister install, so the drive impressions had to wait a bit. with the heat in TX, i get lazy about getting these finished.

after the test cold start video, i thought the car might still be on the loud side, but it's been toned down a good bit. the 'loudness' is gone and replaced with a more civilized note that's definitely easier to live with. it was a tad loud inside before, but now conversations are easy. under 4k rpm, it's a nice air-cooled sound but very manageable. above the 4k, it's got a nice growl that should be plenty loud. it quieted down more than i expected, but that's likely a good thing. an exhaust like this, and the kline on my GT3, give the car 2 personalities - one where you can drive around and stay under the radar to a great extent and a second where it opens up and has the rich, angry sound you want. i'll try to get some external sound clips soon.

i'll live with this for a bit before determining what a sport cat might do for the sound. that is likely the only variable left and i'd want a 200 cell cat, as i've gone the bypass route already.

The following users liked this post:
forbiddenbeat (06-27-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 03:08 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Awesome, thanks for the impressions! Confirms my decision to get this upgrade.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:45 PM
RSA964993
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 80 Posts

I’ve been saying I was going to get videos of my cold start, acceleration and some flybys for awhile now. So far I’ve done a cold start and that’s it. It took me months to realize that I needed to put it on YouTube in order for it to work here. I finally uploaded the one video I have.

93 RS America. Fabspeed 200 Cell Sport CAT bypass, Fabspeed Cup Bypass, final bypass is a J pipe. Engine has race pistons/cylinders, more aggressive CAMs and custom ECU/chip from Steve Wong.

I had raced this car for years and converted back to a street car but wanted to keep the racy bits. I hope this works.

rsabeebe (12-11-2023)
Old 06-28-2022, 10:21 AM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by RSA964993
I’ve been saying I was going to get videos of my cold start, acceleration and some flybys for awhile now. So far I’ve done a cold start and that’s it. It took me months to realize that I needed to put it on YouTube in order for it to work here. I finally uploaded the one video I have.

93 RS America. Fabspeed 200 Cell Sport CAT bypass, Fabspeed Cup Bypass, final bypass is a J pipe. Engine has race pistons/cylinders, more aggressive CAMs and custom ECU/chip from Steve Wong.

I had raced this car for years and converted back to a street car but wanted to keep the racy bits. I hope this works.

https://youtu.be/snDacFGHgJ0
Sounds amazing
Old 06-28-2022, 10:35 AM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 528 Posts

Drive by of my car from when it was in Miami. No cats, custom headers w/ 3-1 RSR collectors, stinger pipe, w/ another pipe coming right off the side of the center tip going through a muffler exiting out the stock location. Pretty weird. But sounds amazing.

JP-"S" (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 02:08 PM
JP-"S"
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 44 Posts

Deleted post

Last edited by JP-"S"; 07-13-2022 at 02:10 PM.

Quick Reply: 964 cup pipe