Stunning car, great find. Congrats
The following users liked this post:
granjour (10-17-2021)
Old 10-16-2021, 11:19 AM
granjour
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000m2
I am specifically referring to control arm bushings and, since they're easy, sway bar bushings: https://www.elephantracing.com/porsc...hings-for-964/
Best of luck!
Thanks for the link!

Originally Posted by 964Luftballoon
You're welcome. Thank you for the kind words. I'm still very early in my journey of 964 and Porsche ownership. I've learned a lot from @Goughary and many others on this site. So I definitely want to share whatever knowledge I can. We all started somewhere and we pick up information as we go along. Yes, both the front and rear for the H&R sways. And just the tarrett drop links for the rear. When you get a chance look up the thread "Suspension Madness" I've found this super helpful when understanding how our cars are setup.

Now the bushings 2000m2 was referring to are the front and rear(or inner and outer) control arm bushings by elephant
I will invite you to my Pearland garage when I get into a sticky situation! I got through about 20 pages of that thread, and will have to re read it a couple times.

Originally Posted by Goughary
Fwiw the heim joint boots are made by sealsit and their tool is invaluable for the install...you can find them on their website. I think the seals are sold in bags of six...

After you install the Boot, fill it with super lube on both sides prior to install on the car. Will give a good protection from water and grime.

I agree with Ryan about the bump steer kit. Unless you are going to slam the car. You need not worry. And if you are going to slam the car, you'll want to go with 993 rs front uprights...In which case you should call me, since I'm putting this together at the moment and have the info in my head...
Ok, *googleing heim joint boots...* Once I get in there all these things will make sence, I'm sure. My wife is in love with the car so it will not be slammed. It would be too intimidating for her to drive if so, although I love the bagged look (dont kill me)

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
Stunning car, great find. Congrats
Thanks! I'm really glad I dove into the process of getting it to Houston, instead of giving up for an easier path.

Old 10-17-2021, 01:45 AM
rjf
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by granjour
Thanks for the link!

Thanks! I'm really glad I dove into the process of getting it to Houston, instead of giving up for an easier path.

Interesting how a 964 originally destined for Japan eventually made its way to Houston via Belgium! Your 964 is gorgeous! What color is it exactly please?

Last edited by rjf; 10-17-2021 at 01:47 AM.
granjour (10-18-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 07:05 PM
granjour
Instructor

Originally Posted by rjf
Interesting how a 964 originally destined for Japan eventually made its way to Houston via Belgium! Your 964 is gorgeous! What color is it exactly please?
Thank you! I sit in the garage on a milk crate and stare at it. The color is Slate Grey Metallic. It was resprayed in 2017 and I'm glad the previous owner made that decision because the paint looks incredible/ and I don't know if I would have done it myself.

I'm putting together the list of parts for the suspension refresh which I'll post it here before ordering.

Old 10-17-2021, 09:25 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 107 Posts

For sure, I'll be glad to lend a hand. I have Rob on speed dial if anything goes awry which he may tell me to read his suspension madness thread again. hahah..

Ah I see you have a quick jack as well. Definitely, one of the best tool "investments" i've made. It made my short shifter install a breeze. As well as flushing the brake fluid and changing the rotors and pads.

I do have a question for you as I notice your floor has epoxy. I've heard the QJ moves a bit on different surfaces i.e. swiss tracks, expoxy, etc. Does yours move any? My floors are bare concrete so i've not experienced anything like that.
Old 10-19-2021, 05:25 PM
stijn_b
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

Congrats on the purchase! Where in Belgium did you get it? From a private owner or a dealer? Seems to be in great condition! Technical inspection over here are indeed very strict.
Mine came with stock shocks as well, I've recently had Bilstein B6's installed with H&R blue/purple springs. Height slightly above RS and it's just perfect for the roads here. Eibach springs are harder.
Old 10-19-2021, 10:51 PM
granjour
Instructor

Originally Posted by 964Luftballoon
I do have a question for you as I notice your floor has epoxy. I've heard the QJ moves a bit on different surfaces i.e. swiss tracks, expoxy, etc. Does yours move any? My floors are bare concrete so i've not experienced anything like that.
First lift, I set the jack and shook the car and no movement. Put the car down, double-checked the lift points and hoisted it back up. I went to town shaking it and it was solid up there. My epoxy has gritty flakes that keep the floor pretty abrasive.
964Luftballoon (10-20-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 11:00 PM
granjour
Instructor

Originally Posted by stijn_b
Congrats on the purchase! Where in Belgium did you get it? From a private owner or a dealer? Seems to be in great condition! Technical inspection over here are indeed very strict.
Mine came with stock shocks as well, I've recently had Bilstein B6's installed with H&R blue/purple springs. Height slightly above RS and it's just perfect for the roads here. Eibach springs are harder.
Thanks! My wife and I had planned on visiting to pick the car up to drive it for a week, but the Covid restrictions in April were not conducive at that particular time. Too bad

I found it on Elferspot and was bought through a consignment dealer in NL, Vehikel Epic Sportscars. Shout out to Lennart Vech, he is a class act.

Old 10-27-2021, 11:57 AM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

"Eibach springs are harder" Thanks for that info! My '92 came with the Eibach and I put on new Bilstein HD units. Ride is firm but comfy enough on our not too good highway surfaces.
I have driven in Holland and Belgium and love the area and people!

My buddy Roland at his local track!
stijn_b (10-29-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 01:22 PM
granjour
Instructor

Ready to place orders and wanted to share; please send me y’alls critiques or suggestions.
My goals are to lower the car and to have better handling for street driving. I’m attempting to install all this myself in my garage, wish me luck!
  • Bilstein B6 Performance Strut & Shocks Set for 1992-1994 Porsche 911 RWD AWD x 1
  • H&R Springs (hrs29813) - 89-90 Porsche 911/964 C2/C4 (2WD/AWD) x 1
  • H&R Sway bar kit (HR-72813) 89-90 Porsche 911/964 C2/C4 Coupe- 24mm Front/26mm Rear × 1

The rep confirmed the VIN and assured me that these were the correct parts although descriptions are misleading (neither shocks, sways or springs show 1991.
My cars listed as a 1991, but the Rechnungsdatum (DATE OF INVOICE) :: September 27, 1990. Anyone have parts experience with 1991’s?
  • Front Upper Strut Mount (1-96434301803)
  • Rear Shock Upper Mounts (1-96433305900) x 2
  • Rubber Front Control Arm Bushing - Elephant Racing (2290008) x 2
  • Rubber Front Control Arm Bushing Set - Elephant Racing (2290011) x 2
  • Front Adjustable Drop Links (2271018) x 1 (pair)
  • Rear Adjustable Drop Links (2271010) x 1 (pair)
  • Rear Trailing Arm Bushings kit (with tools) (2290019) x 1
  • Stock Ball Joints (1-96434104907) x 2
  • Bump Steer Correcting Tie Rod Kit - Elephant Racing (2180031) x 1 (@964Luftballon & Gaughary recommended I didn’t need this but while i’m there???)

Do I replace front and rear sway bar bushings as well? Thanks for the help!

Last edited by granjour; 10-27-2021 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-27-2021, 01:40 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 107 Posts

I still say don't get the Bumpsteer kit b/c it's not needed for as low as the HR/B6 setup will take you.

Keep in mind if you change the Trailing arm bushings you'll also need to add new wheel bearing nuts as they're one time use. And while you're in there....take a look at the wheel bearings and possibly replace those...Slippery slope my friend...I would wait on the rear trailing arm bushings till later. Trying to do it on a quick jack would likely be difficult and much easier to remove the entire arm. Oh and ask Goughary about the tools they broke on him.
granjour (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 01:55 PM
Bigsix964
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

As far as I know, September ‘90 is an early rear suspension car so if you’re unsure at all about getting the right parts, you might find a way to triple check specifics before ordering. (Goughary?)
Old 10-28-2021, 10:01 PM
granjour
Instructor

So while I wait on parts to arrive, I thought I'd share how I found this car and got the car stateside. Also some current dilemmas I'm having now getting the car titled and registered in Texas.

I found the car on Elferspot as I mentioned before and began negotiations with the Consignment dealer in Holland around March 5th 2021. We agreed on a price shortly after, which included the d90's & the Cup2's. The car negotiations were easy, navigating the 'Outgoing Foreign Currency Wires', multiple of them, was tedious. I went through Fidelity and good for them having my back, they scrutinized the car purchase agreements, the company I was buying the car from, the actual owner of the car, Fidelity wanted to know who they were, why I was sending money, valuations of the car, the companies incorporation documents, the seller's passport information, all the deets! I understand it's for my safety and I truly appreciated it because I tend to get ahead of myself, but it was a process. Pulling teeth process. The seller and consignment shop were helpful but hadn't expected the deep dive into their credibility.

I hired SCL Rotterdam to ship the vehicle through the recommendation of the consignment dealer at the end of March, and bought their insurance if the boat capsized, or caught fire, or my container rolled into the ocean. End of April the car still was not loaded because I chose the cheaper option, a larger co-shipping container that needed to be filled with other Houston-bound vehicles. That ended up being the wrong decision. While waiting for other co-shipments to accompany my car inside the container, shipping prices doubled, as did the time (actually the time quadrupled). It would have been cheaper for a private 20DV container in April. No way I/we could have seen that. This started in early April and it finally shipped on August 11th, 2021. Total shipping costs, insurance fees and customs fees on that side totalled $3,600 USD. The private in April was $2,600 USD...

Once the car was loaded, I was informed to contact the importer in Houston and settle their bills for the service. I'm a moron, this was a surprise to me only because I was so excited and I didn't know how the process worked. Reached out to them and another $3,800 USD later they unloaded the car from the port of Houston. Their services included customs bonds, duty fees, EPA declarations & delivery. A new $200 battery later and the cars in my garage!

Now onto registering it in Texas, and dealing with my county tax office. The car passed our lenient US Texas vehicle inspections with ease, and I showed up ready to pay the taxes, get my plates and be on my way. Nope, the title docs need to be translated and notarized, I need an appointment with my county's stolen car' division to see if the imported car is on Interpol's database. That took 6 weeks, now I was told the VTR-68_A is not enough and I need to apply for a Bonded Title.

That is where I'm at now, not that big of a deal but it is a lot of jumping through hoops for them to take my tax money. I wanted to share if there was anyone looking to import because of the seductive prices overseas, just my 2 cents. If anyone in Texas has gone through this and has a solution so I don't have to get this bonded title, please let me know!

Thanks guys, I'm really glad I got to experience this once in my life. The car is so worth the trouble at this point. It was FOR SURE way more convoluted than what I thought it was going to be, so I laid it out here if anyone was interested.

I'll keep the updates coming when the parts arrive,

stijn_b (10-29-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 08:02 PM
granjour
Instructor

Small update to my suspension refresh! Parts arrived and beginning teardown of the fronts first

Old 11-16-2021, 08:14 PM
granjour
Instructor

I've started removing the front driver's side first, bolts are buggers. It has taken longer than expected and a lot of PB / WD40.

Had to Dremel the back end of the 22mm stepped ring spanner

Caliper out of the way, I almost split the caliper because I was not paying attention trying to loosen the wrong nuts

Shock out

Sending this to my indy shop for help pressing in the new front and rear split bushings

Having the right tools would have made this a lot easier, going to rent a 1/2 inch socket and breaker bar for the next side

I'm having a blast, this is a lot of fun. Hope it goes in a lot easier than it came out, hahaha

Quick Reply: My new 964 import - 1991 C4