Nos

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 11:19 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nos

Hi All

I've read threads on supercharging and turbo charging 964's but has anyone entertained the idea of a nitrous oxide setup?

Just wondering
Bill
90C2

Last edited by darth; 04-12-2004 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:13 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Bill,
The last pictures I saw of a 911 with Nitrous were very black. The 911 was dumped at the wreckers awaiting the crusher.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 04-13-2004, 06:25 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NOS is something for the "Fast and the furious" people, don't use it in your Porsche, It's a waste and a danger for your engine.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:40 PM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nos is the latest craze with MG ZR owners. A modern kit gives a modest but controlled power boost. I'd investigate further before dismissing it.

Cheers
Old 04-13-2004, 02:03 PM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I drove an Audi fitted with a 100hp bottle a few weeks ago .
It was fantastic, it really screamed thru the revs, but it did get a bit hot !!

I know of a biker in the UK who is insured to drive his blade with NOS. Apparently his insurance went up 1000%
Old 04-14-2004, 05:57 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Something to think about...
allot of cars running the one lap of america - were running NOS. Including the winner (7.0L corvette Z06)
the modern systems are pretty good as far as i can tell - although i have no experiance with them (yet) but i'm definitly looking at it as an add on to my one lap car.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:59 PM
ian c - u.k

modern systems are spot-on !!
with throttle percentage opening etc. they give an extra dimension .

the main "problem" is people puttin a 100bhp kit on , thinking its a cheap/reliable engine mod

as you are in effect cramming more air in like a charger , temperatures are bound to raise slightly

i designed a system to squirt into an intercooler as part of an anti-lag system ....... it actually reduced running temperatures !!!
Old 04-15-2004, 07:26 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

It's not quite a bit more air, it's a bit more oxygen, like altering the oxygen/nitrogen mix we breathe. Whereas its a 20% oxygen atmosphere Nox takes the essential 20% an increases it in theory to 25-30% sometimes more.
This way the 14:1 ratio of air/fuel is allowed to have more fuel inside the combustion chamber and successfully burn it all.
It will result in bigger bangs, but if controlled properly temperatures to other components will not necessarily increase (think diesel) However Pistons take a bit of a thump.......and if not done properly will give the motor a pretty short life......

Not for me.

Kevin
Old 04-15-2004, 03:41 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

It's a cool idea IMHO. Not a good idea on a 911 since it isn't a drag strip queen, but could be fun just spurting around on the freeway late at night and squeezing a little bit...
Old 04-16-2004, 11:42 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

"It's a waste and a danger for your engine."

I find it hard to believe how misunderstood Nitrous Oxide is by people that LIKELY don't, and have never used it.

I've had nitrous on two previous cars...we won't get into what cars they were, that's beside the point.

NOS, used in moderation can provide a stellar boost in performance, and is perfect for power on demand, it does not trash engines, it's the "greedy" users that trash their engines by leaning the mixture out more for more HP...just like the owner of a supercharged car making the pulley smaller for more boost or the owner of a turbocharged car upping the boost by adding a stronger spring on the wastegate or dialing it in on their electronic wastegate controller.

A turbocharged/supercharged car can run for YEARS without engine issues, if the owner keeps the boost levels within a reasonable range and watches engine temps, downpipe/EG temps while driving in "spirited" mode, i.e. at the track, on a hot day, etc.

Nitrous oxide systems can be "tweaked" just as well, leaner jets on the fuel side, bigger nitrous supply jets, heating the bottle...you name it.

NOW, IMHO, the Porsche engine was not exactly designed to have NOS used on it for the main reason that most are pretty high compression...which doesn't work well with NOS. The 964 for example, even employs knock sensors due to it's higher compression when compared to it's predacessors.

The 3.0 SC motor, the 8.5:1 or 9.3:1 versions would do GREAT with a 50-75HP shot, but the 9.5:1 "Euro" version would be pushing it...this is just "off the top of the head" values, and I have NEVER tried NOS on any of my Porsches.

The main issue behind installing NOS on your Porsche flat six configuration would be just that, the installation...as I don't believe NOS makes the injector plates to go under our throttle bodies, and for the efficient "Fogger" setups, which would incorporate nozzles in each of your intake runners would provide for even tighter quarters, with the space restrictions under the hood anyway.

I agree that one could meticulously endure the "perfect" installation of a tunable "Fogger" nozzle system, but that would require aluiminum intake runners and some fancy welding to incorporate the required "bosses" to accept said nozzles.

Then where do you put that DAMNED bottle??

My point is, don't dismiss NOS, especially if you really have no knowledge/experience with these setups, they are valid HP systems just as anything else that boosts HP to phenomenal levels.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying that anyone that responded in a negative manner to this post doesn't know JACK, but I'll stand my ground on the fact that if you don't know what you're talking about, read up and learn before throwing in your "two cents".
Old 05-17-2008, 08:42 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Interesting topic - and no posts since 2004....

Does anyone have any Real World experience with a wet or dry system on a 911?
Old 05-17-2008, 11:45 PM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

I actually have a wet system I bought from someone on Pelican who used it on his SC or Carrera.
It's a complete setup, but I have never installed it. I went on to buy more expensive power adders, also which have not yet been installed.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:50 AM
Mikke_Possu
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Interesting topic but haven't hear any news about Nitrous + air cooled Porsche. Have somebody manage to do that?
Old 07-29-2013, 08:54 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

HEY JEFF!!!!!!

WASSUP???

How's life over in the waterpumper world?
Old 07-30-2013, 09:30 PM
Cosmos99
Pro

Originally Posted by Jeff Curtis
"It's a waste and a danger for your engine."

I find it hard to believe how misunderstood Nitrous Oxide is by people that LIKELY don't, and have never used it.

I've had nitrous on two previous cars...we won't get into what cars they were, that's beside the point.

NOS, used in moderation can provide a stellar boost in performance, and is perfect for power on demand, it does not trash engines, it's the "greedy" users that trash their engines by leaning the mixture out more for more HP...just like the owner of a supercharged car making the pulley smaller for more boost or the owner of a turbocharged car upping the boost by adding a stronger spring on the wastegate or dialing it in on their electronic wastegate controller.

A turbocharged/supercharged car can run for YEARS without engine issues, if the owner keeps the boost levels within a reasonable range and watches engine temps, downpipe/EG temps while driving in "spirited" mode, i.e. at the track, on a hot day, etc.

Nitrous oxide systems can be "tweaked" just as well, leaner jets on the fuel side, bigger nitrous supply jets, heating the bottle...you name it.

NOW, IMHO, the Porsche engine was not exactly designed to have NOS used on it for the main reason that most are pretty high compression...which doesn't work well with NOS. The 964 for example, even employs knock sensors due to it's higher compression when compared to it's predacessors.

The 3.0 SC motor, the 8.5:1 or 9.3:1 versions would do GREAT with a 50-75HP shot, but the 9.5:1 "Euro" version would be pushing it...this is just "off the top of the head" values, and I have NEVER tried NOS on any of my Porsches.

The main issue behind installing NOS on your Porsche flat six configuration would be just that, the installation...as I don't believe NOS makes the injector plates to go under our throttle bodies, and for the efficient "Fogger" setups, which would incorporate nozzles in each of your intake runners would provide for even tighter quarters, with the space restrictions under the hood anyway.

I agree that one could meticulously endure the "perfect" installation of a tunable "Fogger" nozzle system, but that would require aluiminum intake runners and some fancy welding to incorporate the required "bosses" to accept said nozzles.

Then where do you put that DAMNED bottle??

My point is, don't dismiss NOS, especially if you really have no knowledge/experience with these setups, they are valid HP systems just as anything else that boosts HP to phenomenal levels.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying that anyone that responded in a negative manner to this post doesn't know JACK, but I'll stand my ground on the fact that if you don't know what you're talking about, read up and learn before throwing in your "two cents".
Well said Jeff! How did those wheels that I sold to your friend ( I'm forgetting his name at the moment ) work out?

Quick Reply: Nos