Sponsored by:

Self Service

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 10:12 AM
raymond-turner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Self Service

Guys, with a couple of days off next week, I'd like to give the car a minor service, ready for summer, oil, filters (oil and fuel) plugs, drive belts, distributor caps and rotors, along with new pads all round. Questions I have are,
1) Is there a 'how to' re the plugs, and how difficult are they to get to?
2) Which pads, I've seen various ones advertised, often two types for the same car?
3) How difficult is it to replace door seals?
4) how difficult is it to remove the fan, and refurbish it , along with replacing the drive belts?
5) Is there a fix for leaking cab roofs, water comes in seemingly from the quarter lights, where they close on the roof?
Many thanks in anticipation. Great site.
Raymond
1991 LHD C2 Cabriolet
Old 04-12-2004, 04:24 PM
Dave R.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Raymond,

I assume by "plugs" you mean spark plugs.

To access the plugs, you basically do all the same things you would to access the valves for adjustment (except remove the valve covers).

For example, to access the lower set of plugs you'll need to remove the catalytic converter (if you've got one) and the secondary muffler. And if you are going to do that, you might as well consider adjusting the valves too. A valve adjust kit from your OPC should include (among other things) some replacement bolts and nuts for refastening the cat & secondary muffler - the ones you would remove are likely corroded.

Brian Smith's writeup on valve adjustment is very good, one place to find it is on the www.964.co.uk website in the tech section, links.

Old 04-12-2004, 04:40 PM
colorwood
Intermediate

Regarding item 4)

If you're refering to the rear blower fan, Just tried to refurb mine ...

Simple enough to remove, gets more tricky when you come to the fan motor but I did manage to get the thing apart. It's a Bosch item with a spindle that rotates within bushes rather than bearings. I removed these but had no joy in locating any locally. Tried rebuilding with the originals and lubrication but it just doesn't make a difference. If those bushes are on the way out I'd say you're looking at a new motor, or like me, a new fan unit.

If you're talking about the fans in the luggage compartment, they're far more tricky to remove but there is a procedure in the archives here.

Regards,

Mike
Old 04-12-2004, 04:42 PM
colorwood
Intermediate

Just realised you mean the main engine cooling fan! D'oh!

Good luck anyway!
Old 04-13-2004, 06:23 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please check my service topic from last November for helping pics. "100000 Miles service dot it yourself.."

Quick Reply: Self Service