Sponsored by:

To auction or not to auction my 964

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 05:37 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by georgej
This has been a interesting post to wade through with many thoughtful replies and insights that I had not considered. I am a car enthusiast, vintage racer, and occasionally a buyer or seller. A couple of years back I labored over this same dilemma when it was time to part with my '70 (near perfect) 911E. At the time the market was softening from the peak when I had purchased it four or five years prior so there was a pain in being upside down. I ended up sending the car down to Autokennel in Costa Mesa to represent/sell my car. Communication was excellent and I know they "worked" with several interested parties. They could not have been more fair in the deal and I knew what was going on along the way.

My dream replacement was a lowish mile 964 C2 from the later years. I was vigilant in watching various dealers, listings, BAT, and car updates from Autokennel and others. Last October when I got the Autokennel email announcing their '93 GPW (most desired by me) C2 I made the call withing the hour and after one back and forth arranged the wire transfer site unseen. Trusted dealer / trusted transaction. Zero regret.

This is not so much a plug for the folks I did business with it is a plug for relationships and working with trustworthy parties. Being in NJ/PA I am sure you have similar ties with folks out there. From what I read above about the auction route it seems like a colossal pain to be the seller and not without risk. Given the fact that 964's seem to be very scarce in the market I think you are in the drivers seat on this one. Take your time and find your car the right new home. Good luck!
good insight and yeah Paul from Autokennel seems like a quality guy. I do know some local guys who I believe would be fair and diligent in their efforts. I am considering all options.

Thanks for sharing
Old 09-06-2021, 12:58 AM
stutt911
Banned

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I know of a few cars where it went well but also a few that deals fell through. Auctions are a big hassle if you can avoid , avoid

contact Paul or Tarek see if they’d sell it, I don’t know if tarek does consignment don’t think he does but wouldn’t hurt to ask.

Last edited by stutt911; 09-06-2021 at 12:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
luv2race (09-06-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 10:40 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Closing out this thread with a final update. After much consideration and reading this thread and talking to friends i decided not to go the auction route. I decided that i was going to list for sale here in the marketplace, post on my IG and a few friends with thousands of followers were going to post as well for me. Lastly, I was going to work a consignment deal with either Kasser Motor Group or Holt. I had a few nice photos taken by @enthusiastspec and I posted a few pictures on my IG with the tag line “going to be available soon”. I heard from a half a dozen people in a few days and sold her last week………on to the next project and thank again to everyone for contributing or reading along.

Last edited by luv2race; 09-29-2021 at 10:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
abarthguy (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 11:35 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Congrats. I would have had a hard time letting her go. Although I have a hard time selling any of my cars.

I was offered $72k from my local Porsche dealer for my nicely optioned '15 Boxster GTS manual and I might let it go since it barely gets driven except for a few weeks in the warmer months. I have to decide if I should sell privately, auction or take the money and run. I have to reduce the heard 9 Porsche's is starting to weigh me down.
Old 09-30-2021, 11:08 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Anthony, its never easy to let one go. I was eyeing a replacement for a more hardcore build. My original plan was to build a lightweight dual purpose street track matching when I first started the grey 964 project. The problem was the car was a bit too nice and everyone who saw the car would try to convince me to leave the interior etc. so ultimately I agreed with that sentiment.

I just bought a heavily modified 993 which will become my dual purpose car after a few tweaks of course. Haha.

Your recent 964 track car would’ve been an ideal car and I’m glad you are enjoying that car.
Old 10-01-2021, 12:42 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 217 Posts

Congratulations on the sale and the acquisition of the next project. Sounds like things worked out just the way you planned.
Old 10-01-2021, 06:49 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jpoint
Congratulations on the sale and the acquisition of the next project. Sounds like things worked out just the way you planned.
Thank you and in the end it worked out perfect because a car I was interested became available around the same time I decided to let this one go. The new owner of grey already has a short ratio gearbox and he plans to install that with a LWFW and she is going to scream.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:51 PM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 232 Posts
Default 964

Originally Posted by luv2race
Thank you and in the end it worked out perfect because a car I was interested became available around the same time I decided to let this one go. The new owner of grey already has a short ratio gearbox and he plans to install that with a LWFW and she is going to scream.
great combo! now spill the beans on the 993 we get excited everytime you have a new project the best of the best! is this gonna be your dual purpose toy?
Old 10-02-2021, 06:17 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2swoosh
great combo! now spill the beans on the 993 we get excited everytime you have a new project the best of the best! is this gonna be your dual purpose toy?
ha, thank you and I bought Alex’s RAW 993 through Dave at Butzigear in CT. Alex has a great reputation, I know and trust Dave and also Peter and Trevor Dawe did a lot of work on the car recently. I of course plan to tinker and hopefully improve upon a very good build. I will post that car and my plans in the 993 forum over the next few weeks. Definitely planning for this one to be my dual purpose car. Thanks for following along and words of encouragement.
Old 10-03-2021, 02:43 PM
997Pilot
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Congratulations on selling it, 964s have been thinning out, haven’t seen many for sale lately
Old 10-04-2021, 11:39 AM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997Pilot
Congratulations on selling it, 964s have been thinning out, haven’t seen many for sale lately
thank you and yeah I’m sure that helped my situation.

Quick Reply: To auction or not to auction my 964