Sponsored by:

Sylvania SilverStar bulbs - nice upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004 | 02:49 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up Sylvania SilverStar bulbs - nice upgrade

From time to time I'll read about the weak stock headlights found on the 964. I never got it. Did the US cars come with a different item than the RoW versions? Should I be cleaning out my front lenses periodically? Is the H4 or HID conversion worth considering?

Well, we no longer need to worry about all of that (those of use who use 9004 or H5 bulbs, that is). The fine folks from Sylvania have come out with a bulb that nearly matches the performance of a much more expensive HID kit: SilverStar. Here are the numbers:

I always thought my H5's performed effectively but these bulbs do make a noticeable difference. They're not bluish or rice, they're just a brilliant white. Illumination on the road is superb and, best of all, they're $30-$40/pair and available through your local parts store.

Bear in mind, headlamp replacement IS NOT a simple swap and you should have a modicum of mechanical ability before attempting this mod. It's very easy to mistake the directional adjustment screws for the mounting bolts, so consult your manual before proceeding. Also note that there are plastic retaining washers that keep the screws attached to the headlamp. Once you've disengaged the screws from the mounting bracket STOP UNSCREWING! Otherwise, the screw and washer will fall into the hole at the bottom of the headlamp well (ask me how I know ).

But after a few miscues, I got it all back together and, man, it's a nice upgrade. Well worth the effort. And FTR, I'm not affiliated nor employed by Osram Sylvania ... just a satisfied customer.

Last edited by joey bagadonuts; 04-10-2004 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-10-2004 | 03:01 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Joey, I'll second the SilverStars. They are bright and are definitely a worthy upgrade. Although I'm still not pleased with the H5's spread pattern.

Old 04-10-2004 | 03:01 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Joey, I'll second the SilverStars. They are bright and are definitely a worthy upgrade. Although I'm still not pleased with the H5's spread pattern.

Old 04-10-2004 | 03:20 PM
Sailswish
Instructor

Did the upgrade last year for all my cars. Got the bulbs on Ebay for $20/pr.
Old 04-10-2004 | 06:19 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Did that upgrade a while back on my C4 and they are great! They l make a much clearer light - and so easy to install. I also cleaned my lenses at the time for an overall great result.
Old 04-10-2004 | 11:40 PM
axl911
Drifting

Just did mine. It's pretty good. Brighter than my old halogens.
Old 04-10-2004 | 11:59 PM
914und993
Pro

Although their color temperature is pretty close to HID systems like Litronic, the total light output of even the Silverstars is only about half that of most HID systems.

The worst thing about the U.S. H5 964 headlights is the illumination pattern, I really hated it. My solution was to use 80W/100W bulbs. I adjusted the low beams until I had pretty good road illumination but didn't seem to bother oncoming cars. At that adjustment, the high beams pointed so high as to be useless so I never used them.

Apparently the Euro lights (H4?) have a better pattern, and they can be adapted to U.S. cars but I never did it.

The 993 headlights are a little better but not great. Converting them to HID low beams helped a lot, and making the high beams 100w (with their own separate power relay) puts a lot of light on the road.

Chip

Quick Reply: Sylvania SilverStar bulbs - nice upgrade