Sponsored by:

Cabriolet Top Frame Alignment and Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 08:56 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Cabriolet Top Frame Alignment and Adjustment

I am trying to find a copy of the Porsche Cabriolet top adjustment pdf. I have a copy on my laptop but the hard drive is dead and I can’t access it.

My top is manual now, just has the latch motors. The drivers side prior to latching sits a little higher that the passenger side. The top is aligned correctly fore and aft. I don’t remember which screw to adjust to get the top closer to the frame. Anyone remember or have the Porsche documentation? It’s an added PDF that’s not part of the 7 volume service manual.

I think this is why I keep shearing off the driver side latch gears.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:48 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mystert
I am trying to find a copy of the Porsche Cabriolet top adjustment pdf. I have a copy on my laptop but the hard drive is dead and I can’t access it.

My top is manual now, just has the latch motors. The drivers side prior to latching sits a little higher that the passenger side. The top is aligned correctly fore and aft. I don’t remember which screw to adjust to get the top closer to the frame. Anyone remember or have the Porsche documentation? It’s an added PDF that’s not part of the 7 volume service manual.

I think this is why I keep shearing off the driver side latch gears.
I have a very poor .pdf copy buts it's in German and part of a Training Document. Anyway, I'm not aware of any adjustment to raise/lower ndividual sides (mine is on "Manual" too!). The only adjusters I know of are the large mounting bolts below the black drive gearboxes in the rear 1/4 panels - they only move the hood fore/aft.. Raise/Lower limits are governed by the microswitch position when using the motorised system. When the hood is positioned prior to latching, the .pdf gives a nominal distance of 30mm (+/- 3mm). If your hood is at an angle, I think the only adjustment is elbow power to bend it (gently of course) back. Place a piece of timber, suitably protced of course, under the lowest corner and press on the opposite side.

Old 08-29-2021, 03:25 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Here are pics of the top. You can see it’s 1/4-3/8” higher on the drivers side. The transmissions are removed on both top top mechanisms so it’s just sitting there. Since the top is higher on the drivers side it loads up the drivers side latch motor and after a few latch cycles, it’s shears off the teeth. It’s just about at the end of the micro switch adjustment too

Old 08-29-2021, 03:34 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

sent you a pm
Old 08-29-2021, 03:40 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Silvertarga
sent you a pm
Got it! Thanks. I’ll look thru it
Old 08-30-2021, 12:03 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Have you disconnected the transmission gears. So the top moves freely when you raise and lower by hand. If the gears/transmission box is still connect to cab frame it could be restricting one side over the other.
Additionally, under the top on each side but above the solid metal piece that runs over the window area is a metal cable with a very strong spring ( used to help position). If this has broken on either side it could cause the issue you have.
Old 08-30-2021, 12:26 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gus
Have you disconnected the transmission gears. So the top moves freely when you raise and lower by hand. If the gears/transmission box is still connect to cab frame it could be restricting one side over the other.
Additionally, under the top on each side but above the solid metal piece that runs over the window area is a metal cable with a very strong spring ( used to help position). If this has broken on either side it could cause the issue you have.
The transmission housings and gears are removed. Being a 30 year old cabriolet, the body is a little tweaked and the passenger side top bow has been cracked and rewelded twice (once by previous owner, once by me) so I'm sure that may have something to do with it. Also one of the previous owners made a half-assed restoration attempt and i am constantly redoing a lot of their work. None of the top components are where the factory put them. I ended up moving the drivers side bow base plate aft and the passenger side base plate forward. Then I was able to adjust the screws up and down to get it pretty close. I have a pretty good idea of how it all works now. I'm 6'3" 215lbs and getting in and out of the back seat is a little difficult. I think in the next few weeks I might zero out all the adjustments out and try again. Im happy with it for now.

Thanks for the help finding the paperwork.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:22 PM
Ruskiedog
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just my 2cents but when I had that issue I checked all my bolts on the frame and one had worked loose a bit, nipped it back up and it re-aligned the passenger side (RHD) which was having issues latching.

Quick Reply: Cabriolet Top Frame Alignment and Adjustment