Sponsored by:

Factory alarm problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 06:55 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Factory alarm problem

My car has just the standard factory alarm, armed by locking the doors.

Recently, I've noticed that sometimes the door LEDs blink twice when armed. (The manual says that this is because one of the contacts is open).

Last night, at 2.34 am, my alarm went off. No apparent reason. (and I live in a VERY quiet village...)

I went out to the car, unlocked, checked, relocked - and noticed that the door LEDs were blinking just once as they should.

10am this morning, the alarm went off again.

I'm assuming that there is a dodgy contact which decides to open or close at will.

My questions are:

1. Can I turn off the alarm until I find the fault, so I don't risk annoying the neighbours. (is there a fuse which can be removed for example?)

2. How do I find which contact it is? Presumably the alarm system covers both doors, bonnet & boot.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:35 AM
Ade - C4 91
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Rob,

Check that the door light switches aren't damaged, as they often are, and ensure that the rubber boots aren't preventing the switch from returning.

on the transmission tunnel in the driver footwell there's an LED and a switch which turns on/off the Ultrasonic sensors. Turn this off (no flashing LED) and see if the problem persists.

I don't know where the fuse for the alarm is, and the British alarm is usually buried under the main fuse box area in the boot (for 93 it may have moved), so it's difficult to get to.

Good luck

Ade.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:39 AM
ian c - u.k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting !!!
i dont seem to have a switch to turn the sensors off !!!
Old 04-09-2004, 07:59 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I cant find one on my cab either. I have heard about this switch and looked all over for it before.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:11 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Jim,
When you see the "Alarm" thread check who the posters are or where they are from. The UK 964s have local dealer installed alarm systems (after delivery to the UK). They are additions to the normal factory alarm. Your 964 will not have the systems used in the UK installed. You may have a US aftermarket installed system of course but it will be different.
It gets awfully confusing in the UK because they have their own RHD imports which had the special UK dealer installed system. Some of these have been replaced already with newer systems. Then you have the LHD imports which are then made to comply with UK law and insurance requirements but remain LHD. You end up with a huge mixture of confusion.
Of course within the standard factory system fitted by Porsche you have the 1989 and 90 version (928) then the 1991 to some time in 1993 new system (928) and some very late production models were fitted with the 993 system.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 04-10-2004, 12:02 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

I hate to sound like a broken record, but if you're going to start some involved
troubleshooting buy the "Enthusiats' Companion". Start reading on page 363.
The book has a great writeup on the alarm system with all the pinouts shown.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:42 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Loren - got Adrian's book, just not with me at the moment. I'll take a look.

Quick Reply: Factory alarm problem