Sponsored by:

Kumho, SCCA revoke approval of V710

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 10:28 PM
JoeW
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kumho, SCCA revoke approval of V710

Kumho isn't pleased with their V710 offering. SCCA is withdrawing approval of it for Solo and track events. From the SCCA site:

http://www.scca.org/news/press04_57.html

I don't recall hearing of this sort of thing with a track tire before -- not good for Kumho for sure. JoeW
Old 04-07-2004, 11:45 PM
Flagg
Racer

I had just clipped an add for this tire from a tire rack magazine. I autocross every now and then and have a second set of wheels. I still have a set of the old Brigestone R1..........I got a new set of them after Brigestone had stopped making them.

Sooner or later I am going to have to retire my R1s. What is the comparable tire out there now to the R1.

The R1s used to be great. Better autoX and Track preformance - and cheeper than street tires......

Flagg
Old 04-08-2004, 10:45 AM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

I'm the registrar for my local PCA region. We're likely to follow the SCCA's example and instruct our Tech Inspectors to fail a car with Kumho V710s at our next drivers ed event.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:08 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Flagg: I also found a set of the old R-1s (not the later g-Force version) after they stopped making them. My guess is that the current Kumho Victoracers are the closest tires to the old R-1s. The Michelin Pilot Sport Cups are also getting rave reviews for the track, but they seem to take a little longer to warm up, so I don't know if they are better than the Victoracers for autocross. I know they're much more expensive. The Victoracers seem to be on the heavy side; heavier than the Kumho MX street tire.

Kumho seems to be bending over backwards to make it up to those who bought the V710s.

Quick Reply: Kumho, SCCA revoke approval of V710