Sponsored by:

964 RS color change

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 12:58 PM
localmotion411
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 94 Posts
Default 964 RS color change

I want to buy a 964 RS but want the paint to be essentially perfect. I can either buy a super low mile example with good factory paint, or I could buy a little higher mileage car and do a full repaint and bring it back to concours quality. I’m leaning towards the latter, and I would be doing a full refresh of the car’s suspension, seals, gaskets, interior, etc.

I know I’d probably be better off keeping the original color, but I’m so tempted to paint it a rarer PTS color.

Would this be complete heresy? I would think that any value deducted due to the color change might be gained back due to the rarity of whatever new color I chose. What say ye?
Old 06-28-2021, 01:07 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 325 Posts

Originality has value in it. If you do a color change, do it well and the impact will be less but still very real. On a car like an RS (I assume you mean a ROW RS not a RSA), that impact will be even greater than on a "normal" 964. But if you find the right buyer who has exactly the same taste as you, maybe it's mitigated to a degree.

However, I should say that I am in the process of changing my 964 from black to Rubystone. And that's because it's my car and I don't care how much it's worth to the next person who buys it from my estate some day in the future. Cars are rarely great investments compared to other financial vehicles (get it?) and tying your happiness to their future value is a losing proposition.
The following 2 users liked this post by darylbowden:
Booth9999 (06-29-2021), kecho (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 01:39 PM
localmotion411
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by darylbowden
Originality has value in it. If you do a color change, do it well and the impact will be less but still very real. On a car like an RS (I assume you mean a ROW RS not a RSA), that impact will be even greater than on a "normal" 964. But if you find the right buyer who has exactly the same taste as you, maybe it's mitigated to a degree.

However, I should say that I am in the process of changing my 964 from black to Rubystone. And that's because it's my car and I don't care how much it's worth to the next person who buys it from my estate some day in the future. Cars are rarely great investments compared to other financial vehicles (get it?) and tying your happiness to their future value is a losing proposition.
Totally understand and agree with your thoughts. I don’t buy cars for the next buyer but I’m always going to put thought into current and future values of all my assets.
Old 06-28-2021, 11:23 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 399 Posts

Heresy.
Old 06-28-2021, 11:57 PM
localmotion411
Rennlist Member

Will keep it original color.
Old 06-28-2021, 11:59 PM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 160 Posts

Seems like you would be better off building the car you want from a standard C2 or C4. What is the point of buying an original RS if your going to make it un-original? It's not like it's that hard to replicate. OR- get the RS and put a wrap on it.

Pete
The following 6 users liked this post by Peteinjp:
azander (06-29-2021), BLACK3.2 (06-29-2021), cobalt (06-29-2021), John McM (06-29-2021), kos11-12 (06-29-2021), luv2race (06-30-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-30-2021, 04:30 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Peteinjp
Seems like you would be better off building the car you want from a standard C2 or C4. What is the point of buying an original RS if your going to make it un-original? It's not like it's that hard to replicate. OR- get the RS and put a wrap on it.

Pete
Pete, I agree 100% with your first thought on build a C2 or C4 however I cant agree with your thought on wrapping an original RS. You can't really change a factory RS to the color RS you want by wrapping the car. the color choices of wraps are limited to the vinyl selection available and none (that I have found) match the Porsche factory RS colors. A few get close but not close enough IMHO.

as for the OP, I almost bought a 2.7 RS many years ago before they skyrocketed. The one reason I didn't buy the car.....it had been repainted to white from the original color. Interestingly I prefer white but I couldn't bring myself to buy the car and having to return it to the original color. In retrospect it would've been the best $225k I ever spent.

I considered repainting my slate grey metallic 964 (I know I'm in the minority but I don't love that color which is why I will eventually part ways with that amazing build) but everyone i know screamed NO! to me imagine if I wanted to color change an RS. haha
Old 06-30-2021, 04:46 PM
Steven_H
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts

964 RS's were available in very specific colors, many of which were very beautiful: Rubystone, Maritime Blue were the launch colors, and Speed Yellow, midnight Blue Metallic and others were also available. The 21 964RS N/GT Macau Cars were each painted a different color, so to change the color of one of them would be to disrupt the run (like painting one of the IROC cars a diffeent color). To some degree, as a model, the 964RS is a bit of a sleeper and not apparent unless you notice the model designation on the back or the subtle stance or wheels. Unusual colors might confuse the issue and make the car look like a clone. That said, I painted a red 73RS Grey Beige, but that was a color in which it was offered and that no one chose.

Last edited by Steven_H; 06-30-2021 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:22 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Buy what you want. Do what you want with it. As long as you drive it.

I'm sure you'd make out just fine if you bought a lesser example in a less exciting color and did a proper bare metal color change to one of the more desirable RS colors. For example, buy a black one and paint in Rubystone. I doubt that would hurt the net value if the original paint was on the rougher side. You are of course going to spend a lot to do the color change and it's unlikely you'll get that back unless the market reaches new levels of insanity.

Quick Reply: 964 RS color change