Sponsored by:

The Machine Shop - Manual steering rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 10:29 AM
Ubipa
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts
Default The Machine Shop - Manual steering rack

Awhile back I decided to remove the power steering pump from the engine, it was aligned with my motivation to simplify the car/the engine/ the servicing. This is a hobby car that I started building for fun, drive on weekends and want to hold onto for awhile without being a burden. So I picked up a Bosch electric power steering pump and all the fittings to convert. This seemed like a good idea to free up engine compartment space and remove some variability from the running engine (variable load pumps make idle control annoying!). Well, wouldn't you know, after all the work of spec'ing it out and acquiring the fittings, I decided it was all too complicated for what I wanted: the amperage draw is too high, the hydraulic system is annoying, the weight is still there. That led me down the rabbit hole of reading all of the manual steering rack threads.... everyone probably has been there and seen the warnings of the manual steering being too much work and that Porsche perfected the existing hydraulic rack. I decided to do it though, at least for a little while.

I ended up picking a custom manual rack from 'The Machine Shop' in Colorado. This is a 3 turn, which is less quicker than the RS manual rack and slightly less than the OEM... To be honest I was a bit worried the steering would be sloppy and heavy. Over the last month I've been driving with the rack and, I have to say, I completely enjoy this thing. It has made the car so much more of an experience and fun to drive! First off, the steering is not a burden when parking (this was a big concern). Then, when driving, there's so much joy with the feeling of control and return to center out of a hard turn. I do notice the 3 turn vs OEM, but I, oddly, almost prefer it. Please note: This is just a street car (targa) I use for long weekend drives on country/mtn roads. I can definitely see how a manual rack could be too much work on the track, but for the weekend driver off the track... this rack is fun!

https://mwthemachineshop.com/steering-solutions
The following 2 users liked this post by Ubipa:
weekndr.porsche (11-23-2022), willmip (05-23-2021)
Old 05-23-2021, 10:55 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

I am also in touch with Martin and am planning on this rack. I started out getting set up to use the MB electric pump and have all the parts ready to go- but not looking forward to adding holes in the car just to find out if I like it and also not wanting to hear the pump. I also have read and re-read all the manual rack threads- those and the 3 turn thing has had me wondering if I should stick with the power rack. But I decided to order it and install it with my new suspension. I thought if its heavy I might go back to a 380mm wheel and be able to see the speedo again.

Thanks for giving me a bit of a push to get this project going!

Pete
Old 05-23-2021, 12:51 PM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 82 Posts

i just removed the hydraulics from an OEM steering rack. Disassembled it, removed every sealing that could lead to "friction" and a strange feeling. Used steering grease from a VW beetle (the old one) and assembled it. I closed the connections with M10x1 plugs and have now an "aquivalent" of the OEM RS steering rack. I use this rack since 4 or 5 years and the feeling is brilliant und it works fine for me...
The following 2 users liked this post by koenig_roland:
kos11-12 (06-22-2021), sotothehail (11-29-2023)
Old 05-23-2021, 06:29 PM
Ubipa
Rennlist Member

I feel like the manual rack idea on a 964 has gotten a bad rap! Is it just the gearing of the RS manual rack that drives the opinion?

Pete - I have a 340mm steering wheel on the setup and it's fine. Have you installed it? I ran into a little bit of difficulty with the bearing retaining flange contacting the cross member, which required cutting the flange. I spoke with Martin and he said he was going to start providing them with that slight modification. Just wondering if you ran into the same thing.

Old 05-23-2021, 10:40 PM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

Nate- I haven’t gotten mine yet. I’m waiting on the suspension to come in and was test fitting the Benz pump. I wrote Martin today to go ahead with the purchase.

Pete
Old 05-24-2021, 12:21 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Great info, thanks everyone for sharing. I will chime in and say I have the standard power steering rack that was paired with a Prototipo. This weekend I put on a 320mm Monte Carlo for fun and while the styling is more Ferrari than Porsche, the feel was really incredible. Smaller diameter and thicker wheel provided great feedback, much more than the Prototipo. Car became point and shoot and went exactly where I pointed it with precision. As far as easy goes, I would recommend this a try. Manual rack and a 320mm might be too much work but seems like we can get to similar points with different combinations of variables.
Old 05-24-2021, 01:20 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubipa
I feel like the manual rack idea on a 964 has gotten a bad rap! Is it just the gearing of the RS manual rack that drives the opinion?
Once people start going beyond a 205 width tire on the front they start complaining. It is so subjective, like exhaust sounds or exterior styling, you just have to try it yourself. I HATE the feeling of the power steering in a 964C2 and in the 993TT but love it in my A8. While the manual rack in my RS is pure joy (to me).
The following users liked this post:
kos11-12 (06-22-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 01:27 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Received 695 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubipa

Pete - I have a 340mm steering wheel on the setup and it's fine. Have you installed it? I ran into a little bit of difficulty with the bearing retaining flange contacting the cross member, which required cutting the flange. I spoke with Martin and he said he was going to start providing them with that slight modification. Just wondering if you ran into the same thing.
manual rack sucks, I'm spending a lot of money having the power steering put back in my car
Old 05-24-2021, 03:07 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Once people start going beyond a 205 width tire on the front they start complaining. It is so subjective, like exhaust sounds or exterior styling, you just have to try it yourself. I HATE the feeling of the power steering in a 964C2 and in the 993TT but love it in my A8. While the manual rack in my RS is pure joy (to me).
This is my concern. Curious what tire the OP is using. A 225 or 235 R comp might not be fun.
Old 05-24-2021, 04:27 PM
Ubipa
Rennlist Member

True, I can understand the subjectivity. There’s some type of convenience each person is looking for in a car, and that’s probably balanced with the experience/fun-factor the car is providing.

The car is on 18’s… 225/40 Michelin PS, w/ 265/35 in back

Last edited by Ubipa; 05-24-2021 at 04:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kos11-12 (06-22-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 06:16 AM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 82 Posts

on my blue coupe, i just have R-compound tyres 225/45/17 and 225/40/18 and have no problem without the assist. Parking is a little bit of a struggle, but it is more or less like it was, when i started my driving carrer...
The following 2 users liked this post by koenig_roland:
Jacke2c (07-29-2021), kos11-12 (06-22-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 11:54 AM
koshiw
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm researching on this as my 964 is having power steering issues making weird noises and whines. If the noise issues can't be resolved might go with manual steering route. As RSA racks are no where to be found anywhere in the world, this seems like a good alternative, instead of just removing the belt.

@Ubipa, you mentioned problem installing and having to cut certain parts (the flange?). Can you give more detail maybe picture of where? The online description from the shop says "direct" replacement so want to make sure. I would be having my mechanic install this. Also how is the driving experience so far after another month? Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:05 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Received 695 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by koshiw
I'm researching on this as my 964 is having power steering issues making weird noises and whines. If the noise issues can't be resolved might go with manual steering route. As RSA racks are no where to be found anywhere in the world, this seems like a good alternative, instead of just removing the belt.

@Ubipa, you mentioned problem installing and having to cut certain parts (the flange?). Can you give more detail maybe picture of where? The online description from the shop says "direct" replacement so want to make sure. I would be having my mechanic install this. Also how is the driving experience so far after another month? Thanks in advance for your input.
check your fluid level first
Old 06-21-2021, 12:12 PM
koshiw
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks @smegman.
Fluid level is fine. Replaced reservoir, replaced pump, and about to replace the belt. Also did full turns lock to lock. Whine and noise is still coming from the general area around the pump and bracket and is rpm dependent. Holding my fingers crossed with the belt replacement but after weeks of frustration, starting to research alternatives.

Last edited by koshiw; 06-21-2021 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-21-2021, 02:43 PM
Ubipa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by koshiw

Martin might already provide it now with the flange cut, but pics below for reference. You will need to figure out a boot for the steering shaft to body. The rack doesn't go up to the body like the OEM. I still really enjoy driving with the manual rack and don't notice issue with parking. I'm keeping it on.

Quick Reply: The Machine Shop - Manual steering rack