Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Fire

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 02:12 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I bought a 93 RSA that looked a lot like that. Resistor in the heater tube, there was a recall on it I believe. Caught the plastic duct on fire and lit up the fuel lines.

Quite frankly you got lucky the cleanly cut the decklid on a lot of them you see in salvage yards they pry it open with jaws and do a ton of extra damage.
same for both the foam and smoke damage. Water killed the imobilizer, ECU was spared. The smoke smell is hard to get rid of.

you’ll need the whole rear interior, targa top and seals, glass, rubber, harnesses (more than just the engine, several sections of the chassis harness go thru that area, including the rear abs), rear deck, tail, and everything on the engine cylinders up. Complete intake, sensors etc…. lots of cleanup under the car after the motor came out, the fire boiled off the seam filler and undercoating.

the good news on mine was the damage was limited to the top of the motor, I was very worried about damage to the internals and the cylinders, but the heat went up.

I ended up building a cup clone out of it, but it wouldn’t of been hard to restore it. This was back when a tracked RSA was under $30K and parts were abundant and cheap, those days are gone. Only thing is it will always have a salvage/rebuilt title. So it is a labor of love, you’ll probably put more in it than you’ll ever get back out of it, but hell I’ve done this three times now so I’d give it a roll.
I wish somebody would hot rod a targa, ditch the rear seats, and clip the top to look like the new cars, sort of a targa speedster look, be a killer car.
Old 09-02-2022, 10:37 AM
Sbf302
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

To update everyone, the car was sold at Copart and was shipped to Netherlands. I am in contact with the buyer he's restoring it.

Quick Reply: Engine Fire