Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gtech times for BMC v. K&N cones

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 03:32 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Yeah, I know. He doesn't bother me and I figured he wouldn't want to answer any questions. He just wants to throw out his little smirk phrases for what ever reason.

I cut the base off the BMC. My car definitely does not run as well with this filter. It does not sound as throaty either. The car hunts for idle a heck of a lot worse with this filter. I can reset the DME, put the K&N on and let it find idle just once and it stays on idle the first time you let it idle down. With the BMC, it stalled about 3 or 4 times.

Just curious, is it possible to have too much air flow.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:34 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you tried doing some passes with no filter at all? At the local auto cross events most of the guys just take the lid and filter out for the day of short runs. I would never suggest doing any long drives, but a few test runs would not hurt anything. Just curious.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:01 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Thought about it, but haven't tried it. Kind of worried I wouck some crap in and dirty up my fresh engine rebuild.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:45 PM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

doug,
I dont think you will get "too much air" from an air filter change especially not at idle since at part throttle its controlled by the throttle butterfly and metered by your airflow meter.

With a better flowing filter you MAY (not likely with just air filter, but youve got other stuff on) get too much air at full throttle if your air/guel maps have not be altered for the increased airflow. This MAY happen if your VAF maxes out and the ECU assumes a certain max airflow based on stock type filter since the VAF no longer detects extra airflow once it maxes out.

The more likely reason is less airflow from restriction or turbulence or sucking hotter air from a different part of the engine bay. Of cone filters, I think the APEXi is tops for filtration and smooth flow as it has an internal cone to smooth airflow. I've heard/read using a venturi tube instead of a straight tube between the filter and throttle body helps increase the flow by speeding airflow and overcome inertia of air (since even air has mass)

Last edited by pzull; 04-03-2004 at 11:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Gtech times for BMC v. K&N cones