964 C2 gone and forgotten

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 09:48 AM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Arjan B.
I think there is a little love needed for the 911 to forget possible high costs. Makes it easier.........
Well said.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:04 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, Don't think the Mustang will be cheap forever. I'll bet you will find out soon enough.

The 911 is still in the top 5 of most reliable cars in the world. [German ADAC]
And notice one thing. Quality costs more, so Porsche parts will be expensive.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:14 AM
delhi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think ppl are having the perceive notion that a 964 has supercar qualities for the price of an Accord. But what's not in the equation is that the maintenance is alot more than an accord's.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:29 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Delhi,

If I may response on this, I want to tell you a little story about my 18 Years of experience in the Car world.

It's NOT that we think we have Supercars, having a Porsche, but if I look around in my profession, I see hughe amounts of cars for repairs, accident damage etc.

No 1 Top quality cars are still the Japanese cars. Good materials, good performance, low on rust etc.
The German cars as BMW and Mercedes are just one level lower then that.
Porsche is also a car on the Merceds and BMW level.
Look at the materials they use, most is still in good shap after, say 15 years. We are not blind for other car brands, not at all, but compare a 15 year old Ferrari with a 15 year old Porsche...
I would take the Porsche for a trip to Spain without second toughts. The Ferrari is a car who could need road assistance on the trip.

And yes, sure Porsche parts will brake also, but the level of quality they use for materials is pretty high.

We don't talk only about Porsche, we look around and compare. Porsche is still a good car still for 40 years in a row.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:37 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Oh yes, almost forgotten.......

I bought my wife a Jeep Cherokee.... this car gives me trouble sleeping the last couple of weeks.
Oil leak here, oil leak there, cracked exhaust manifolt, leaking transmission.... Talk about quality here?
Old 03-30-2004, 01:14 PM
delhi
Racer

Recent quality survey puts Mercs in the bottom run amongst Caddys and VWs.
I meant ppl buy a used porsche that costs about the same as an accord but never stop to realise that a porsche requires alot more attention than an accord. hope you get what i meant.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:21 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trying to bite my tongue (or maybe fingers ) reading this thread...

..to put it simply if you have to stop to justify any of the pain or money (not that you should necessarily experience one of these or the loss of the other when owning a Porsche) then you simply don't "get" what Porsche ownership is all about!

When I consider my 2 cars I see myself as a Mercedes OWNER but as a Porsche ENTHUSIAST - There's a difference...a BIG difference! My Mercedes value is derived from the utility it provides me, the Porsche value is derived from the countless sighs, grins, daydreams...etc., etc..this is very hard if nigh on impossible to put a price on!

--Howard<----------$0.02
Old 03-30-2004, 02:31 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Ahhhhhh surveys, the bane of anyone with an ounce of intelligence.

People normally make a case of replying only when they have an axe to grind. Reps and other likewise users skew results because they are looking for something different to the rest of us, and perhaps the Mercedes owners had been thinking as an auto make of high repute the cars just didn't ever fail...............

Me I despise surveys, too much to read into them, too much left out of them; to ever have any relvence nor credence.

Kevin
Old 03-30-2004, 03:58 PM
mamsp
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Howard..... You summed it up quite nicely. Well said.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:44 PM
JoeW
Pro

Default FYI

Here in the States, AAA keeps a lot of statistics based on the experience of hundreds of thousands of owners who belong to the club. This year there was a new alignment of manufacturers in the reliability sweepstakes --

the Japanese of course are still #1.
For the first time in MANY years, the US moved up to #2!
European brands came in at #3.

Was this a fluke? Have to wait for next year's poll. Joe W
Old 03-31-2004, 01:57 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Dehli,
Yes, I understand your expanlation.

For most people is a 15 year old 964 the best they can afford for their money. Extra costs will be too much and then starts the complaining.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:34 PM
Weissach
Burning Brakes

That's one great car. I secretly love the Mustang Cobra. I don't like the way it looks but it's a great overall package. With a 400hp engine that's only a smaller pulley away from 500hp... what's not to love.

964s and 993 are getting old. They were high maintenance when new and more so now. I would say that they are more of a hobby car than a real transportation.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:25 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Weissach

964s and 993 are getting old. They were high maintenance when new and more so now. I would say that they are more of a hobby car than a real transportation.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:24 AM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Kahdmus
I could not have put it better myself
Old 04-01-2004, 03:45 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Guess I should stop using mine as my daily transport and adding 12K miles a year to it then.

Quick Reply: 964 C2 gone and forgotten