Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long does it take to drop an engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 01:00 PM
HSB
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll have to keep these ideas in mind since I am going to "attempt " removal of mine Sunday afternoon !
Old 03-28-2004, 01:39 PM
Ragin' Bajan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's not too much trouble, could you post any observations, and include a list of tools used or wished you used?

thx!
Old 03-28-2004, 08:15 PM
HSB
Instructor

Well so far just about everything is disconnected. I did not need a crow foot for the rear oil line-- just pretreated with PB blaster and two crescent wrenches. It's getting late and I definitely would not attempt removal when tired. I still have to take down a couple of grounds and the infamous cv axle bolts. I sprayed these down with the blaster and will let it set over night. I plan to use an ATV jack along with my floor jacks. Talk to you later. HSB
Old 03-29-2004, 10:16 AM
Strabo
Advanced

How high does the car need to be, in order to remove the engine?

Erick

I fabricated two dollies to support the motor on the ground. They were made from 2x12 with small casters and are about 4" tall. I measured the height to the top of the motor when it was on the dollies, then cut a stick that length. I think it is about 33" long. When I have completed most of the disconecting and am ready to drop the motor, I lean the stick against the rear of the car while lifting. When the stick falls over, there is sufficient clearance to wheel the motor out from under the car.

Also, I have found that a floor jack works fine to support the motor, but it is essential to place it exactly at the balance point. The motor will still be somewhat tippy, but little strength is required to balance it if the jack is correctly positioned.

Strabo
Old 03-29-2004, 12:23 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

The ATV jack is the way to go. Just did a motor drop at another shop and this worked out fine. It was a C4S so had a LOT of extra tranny sticking out front so I needed a jack uner here too when lowering it down.

The other alternative is to just get a Donk. These are from Australia and are strong, but not very smart. You kind of have to guide them through the process of putting the motor in from underneath the car...

Old 03-29-2004, 01:04 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by Strabo
How high does the car need to be, in order to remove the engine?

Erick

... I think it is about 33" long. When I have completed most of the disconecting and am ready to drop the motor, I lean the stick against the rear of the car while lifting. When the stick falls over, there is sufficient clearance to wheel the motor out from under the car...

Strabo
Okay, 33" of clearance. Thanks very much!
Erick
Old 03-29-2004, 10:06 PM
HSB
Instructor

Hi,
I got the cv axles down, tied up the transverse and longitudinal cylinders as well as the clutch slave. I really enjoyed getting the clutch slave down with my size 8.5 hands; I can hardly wait for when I have to put it back!
I have used Adrian's book as a guide along with the procedure from alldata.com. They have a 33 step procedure using the Porsche illustrations.
I guess I will have to wait until tomorrow to remove the drivetrain. I wonder if Viper Bob is free. Judging by that picture I shouldn't need any jacks he should be able to grab it and lower it single handedly !
Talk to you later HSB
Old 03-31-2004, 08:37 PM
HSB
Instructor

I finally got it out and it took about 7 hours. Definitely can be done at home in the garage. I needed 3 floor jacks,an atv jack and two extra high jackstands. That C4 drivetrain adds a bit of weght.

Quick Reply: How long does it take to drop an engine?