RS DME? Now with pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 06:35 AM
Johan K
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RS DME? Now with pics

(Reference to earlier thread)

I have now managed to take pics of my DME. At least the cover seems to belong to a 964 MY 89 or 90 (part no 911 618 124 02).

The question is whether the rest of the DME originates from a 964 MY 89/90 or if it is an original RS DME. Can anyone of you tell from the pics?

I also wonder what differs an RS DME from a standard 964 DME. Is it just the chip?

Finally I attach a pic of the installed chip. Does not seem to be a piggy back arrangement? I wonder what the little bastard is, a guess anyone?

/Johan K

_________
964 RS '92
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2004, 06:36 AM
Johan K
Instructor

Circuit boards:
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2004, 06:37 AM
Johan K
Instructor

and "Uni-Chip":
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2004, 11:23 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

The box is a stock 89/90 964. The chip is not. It's anyone's guess what it is.
When you don't know what kind of chip is in your car, it's not a good idea
to "run" with it.

Good Luck
Loren
'88 3.2
Old 03-24-2004, 01:31 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Unichip (as sold in the USA) is a seperate small box (computer) that that gets spliced into the line so it can overwrite the normal output from the DME after being programmed on a dyno.

It appears you have neither the DME from an RS nor a Unichip.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:47 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Johan,
From the visuals this unit should not be in your RS. However I suspect that it has been modified or brought up to RS specifications. I am of course assuming that you do have some other reference when you say it runs correctly. The RS has a special motronic timing ring on a very lightweight flywheel. Againj I assume you have a RS basic and not a touring model.
What I think you have is a German tuners box. They build up one unit, exchange it with the first customer then rebuild the second unit and so on it goes. Each customer getting a modified box for which none of the part numbers match.
I have no answers for you. Of course you may never know if your RS is actually running correctly unless you install a 964 618 124 04 DME.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 03-25-2004, 05:05 AM
Johan K
Instructor

Thanks for your input guys!

Adrian: I think you have come up with the right answer to my DME question. My RS Basic was imported from Germany by the previous owner in 2002 and it had two owners in das Vaterland. Except from the DME it is in a beautiful original condition.

At some point though one of the two German owners "upgraded" the car with a Matter roll bar and an empty cat, so someone has obviously had minor racing/tuning ambitions with the car. Your theory with a German tuners box makes a lot sense in the light of these facts.

The hand made pen marks "2nd" and "OK" on the DME cover together with "3,6/66-0" on the chip strenghten my impression that you came up with the correct explanation. The DME arrangement gives me a somewhat "home-brew" feeling...

I will post the board if i notice any abnormal stalling/idling issues when I have woken up my baby from its winter sleep early April. I will also keep an eye on the rev limiter.

Thanks!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: RS DME? Now with pics