Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone made new connections on the back of Central Electric (Frunk Fuse Block)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 12:02 AM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 247 Posts
Default Has anyone made new connections on the back of Central Electric (Frunk Fuse Block)

Curious to know if anyone has revised connections on the back of Central Electric? These appear to be standard quick connects. I can not tellhow much slack there is to remove the fuse block or how difficult this is in practice for a car that is otherwise assembled.

Thanks

pics from ebay for ref

Old 12-09-2020, 11:03 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

If you’re asking about pulling the connectors, sure nothing very difficult. There is a fair amount of slack in the wire harnesses to work with. The whole central electric can be flipped upside down to have access to the connectors. The connectors are locked in with plastic sliders that get released first. The connectors are pretty snug and take a lot wiggling to pull off. They’re all labeled for location.

Depending on what you’re trying to do, there are quite a few extra wires throughout the car for different options that go to CE and you can repurpose- convertible harness, headlight washers, Euro rear fog light, etc. Or tap a pin on an existing relay for instance. Keep amperage needs in mind of course.
Old 12-09-2020, 11:07 AM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Thanks - that helps. Is there any internal bussing inside central electric? I've studied the wiring diagram sheet 11 but can't entirely tell what happens from power that appears to feed two heavy feed lugs that show up on in the photos I posted.

Are the terminals on the underside all standard quick connects?
Old 12-09-2020, 11:21 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

These pics might help you visualise...

I’m currently in the process of removing a lot of the dead wiring for options my car does not have and items I’ve removed.
convertible roof, cruise control, deleted sunroof, deleted rear wiper, deleted stereo.
It’s complicated!!!

Old 12-09-2020, 11:28 AM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Your rock! Super helpful. So there are no individual spade terminals, everything goes into a multi pin connector. Are the multi pin connectors grouped by function? Do you understand how the two main hot lugs distribute power?
Old 12-09-2020, 11:43 AM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

I presume wires can be individually de-pinned from those plastic connectors and their terminals are female blade terminals with tangs to retain them, like these form PET?

Old 12-09-2020, 12:29 PM
964George
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by r-mm
Your rock! Super helpful. So there are no individual spade terminals, everything goes into a multi pin connector. Are the multi pin connectors grouped by function? Do you understand how the two main hot lugs distribute power?
It doesn't look like the multi plugs are grouped by function as there can be several different accessories connected to the multi plug, I'm sure there is logic to it, but I've not worked it out as yet...
I'm guessing that the hot lugs power up the red connector blocks, but that's a guess at this stage, I'll know more once I get in there at the weekend.

I presume wires can be individually de-pinned from those plastic connectors and their terminals are female blade terminals with tangs to retain them, like these form PET?
I hope so as that's my plan at the weekend, but I'm pretty sure that is the case.

Last edited by 964George; 12-09-2020 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:39 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Good stuff George - drop a note here with your findings and I'll do the same. Unfortunately the presently motorless Alfa is hogging all the warm space and its not so fun outside in CT right now.
The following users liked this post:
964George (12-10-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 02:04 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

*I don’t think* that the block colors are indicative of +\-.

The connectors in the terminal blocks aren’t a typical spade style. Getting a new wire in/out of the bottom of the firewall box is not so easy either

Old 12-09-2020, 02:21 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Getting the wires in or out will be clearer when I lift my box...

Terminal looks to be available https://www.delawareporscheparts.com...in-99965245622
Not sure if 18 is for single wires and 21 for doubles ?

Old 12-11-2020, 12:37 PM
964George
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by -nick
*I don’t think* that the block colors are indicative of +\-
As Nick suspected the block colours have nothing to do with if they’re positive or negative...

But I’ve sussed the connector removal

Pull the lever in the middle to release the connector locking mechanism.

You can then pull the connector free of the central electric fuse board by releasing the side tab and pulling the connector block free.

The connectors can then be split open.

Which allows you to free the spade connectors easily, I damaged mine slightly trying to use terminal release tools from the top!

Wahoo!!!

Last edited by 964George; 12-11-2020 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:56 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Very rad! What is the correct way to release the terminals? Does it appear all the terminals in the multi blocks are identical or are there differences at heavier gauges or multi wire points?

If you haven't read this yet - fantastic explanation of the diagrams that really helped me understand Central Electric - http://www.928-electrics.com/Docs1/P...WDP%20Only.pdf
The following users liked this post:
kos11-12 (04-12-2021)
Old 12-11-2020, 01:21 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Great pics! I use a generic pin removal tool similar to these below. Be sure to get a tool/tools that have multiple sizes of the long flat blades. There may be a trick, but it always an exercise in patience and a lot of wiggling to get a pin to smoothly release. These tools are cheap and essential for electrical work.

Pin tools from Grainger
Old 12-11-2020, 01:23 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Anyone know if the porsche terminal is a unique porsche part? I really doubt this but I'm not coming up with the correct name for it. Which would lead to the correct de-pinning tool.

Maybe that's being too picky - the multi tools Nick posted would surely get it done.
Old 12-11-2020, 04:11 PM
964George
Burning Brakes

Very rad! What is the correct way to release the terminals? Does it appear all the terminals in the multi blocks are identical or are there differences at heavier gauges or multi wire points?
If you haven't read this yet - fantastic explanation of the diagrams that really helped me understand Central Electric - http://www.928-electrics.com/Docs1/P...WDP%20Only.pdf
I'm back at it tomorrow so will double check on the correct way to release the terminals etc..
No standardization in the connector blocks, different gauges and colours...
Thanks for the link to the 928 doc, had a quick look and it confirmed a few hunches.

Originally Posted by -nick
Great pics! I use a generic pin removal tool similar to these below. Be sure to get a tool/tools that have multiple sizes of the long flat blades. There may be a trick, but it always an exercise in patience and a lot of wiggling to get a pin to smoothly release. These tools are cheap and essential for electrical work.
I got a cheap set from Amazon but they seem too flimsy so you can't put any real pressure on them...
I'll look for a better set like the ones you highlighted

Quick Reply: Has anyone made new connections on the back of Central Electric (Frunk Fuse Block)