Sponsored by:

Weight info: RSA seats vs. Sparco

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 09:14 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post
Default Weight info: RSA seats vs. Sparco

In an attempt to improve my 'give advice/information post' to 'receive advice/information post' ratio (currently at 1:10,000)...

I installed a Sparco EVO seat with sliders and aluminum side mounts (thanks Rob). Here are the definitive results of the subsequent weight loss:

Stock RSA seat: 49 lbs. (!)
Sparco EVO (w/sliders and side mount): 21 lbs.

For a weight savings of: 28 lbs. per seat

Unfortunately, I only had 1 Sparco seat to install, so my search for another used seat continues.

I mounted the seats as low as possible, and definitely sit lower than with the stock seat. However, I still feel very comfortable with the driving position. I will also be adding a new Momo steering wheel, and quick release device.

Overall, I'm very happy with the change, and can't wait to get out on the track with the new setup.

Erick
Old 03-22-2004, 09:40 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! Make sure you check out the driving position with your helmet on before hitting the track. I like to have about an inch of clearance between the headrest and the back of my helmet when looking straight out. Too little and you won't be able to sit all the way back without dipping your head down; too much and you'll be craning your neck up to view what's coming.

Perhaps the suggestion is common sense or borderline insulting but it'd be a shame to realize the need for an adjustment after arriving at the track. Next, you might want to drive around the neighborhood with helmet and gloves on just to make sure everything works fine (okay, now I'm just being a wiseguy).

21 lbs is great ... I'm not sure you can get much lighter without going with the kevlar ($$$$) option. When's your first event?
Old 03-22-2004, 11:09 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn, I thought I lost 45 per seat!
Old 03-22-2004, 11:11 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Are mine the RSA seats. If so, I don't think 49 pounds is correct. Those things were very light. Didn't weigh them, but they felt more like 20 pound range.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:26 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Doug H
Are mine the RSA seats. If so, I don't think 49 pounds is correct. Those things were very light. Didn't weigh them, but they felt more like 20 pound range.
No, I believe that yours are the Carrera RS seats. The RSA seats are power adjustable seats covered in cloth.
Erick
Old 03-22-2004, 11:34 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by joey bagadonuts
Congrats! Make sure you check out the driving position with your helmet on before hitting the track.... When's your first event?
Cool, I'll check it out. I suspect that I'll be okay since I was fine with the stock seats... but they do sit a little more upright.

I don't have a first event scheduled... yet. I've been thinking about it though. Once I get the car running again, and have insurance back on it - in about a week - I'll be looking to make firm plans.

I can't wait!

Quick Reply: Weight info: RSA seats vs. Sparco