Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$400 for a short piece of wire?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 02:26 AM
gerakroo
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are working on an alternative for this harness. The production of the grommets has already started and will be ready within a few weeks. At the moment we are working on the design of a 3d printed prototype connector. Following up to that and after testing we will start mass production of the connector. I cannot give an exact release date yet, but it will become available within a few months. Regards from the Netherlands, Kroon Wire Harnesses.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:03 AM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Received 351 Likes on 248 Posts

Another thought is buy yourself the best crimper on earth and use some fancy weather proof connectors of your choice such as Deutcsh or Weatherpack or F35 grade milspec whatever else. I do this all the time.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:11 AM
No_snivelling
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by gerakroo
We are working on an alternative for this harness. The production of the grommets has already started and will be ready within a few weeks. At the moment we are working on the design of a 3d printed prototype connector. Following up to that and after testing we will start mass production of the connector. I cannot give an exact release date yet, but it will become available within a few months. Regards from the Netherlands, Kroon Wire Harnesses.
Thank you. This is what the market needs if indeed it comes at a reasonable price. Please post here or PM me when your product is ready.
The following users liked this post:
gerakroo (11-07-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 10:23 AM
No_snivelling
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by r-mm
Another thought is buy yourself the best crimper on earth and use some fancy weather proof connectors of your choice such as Deutcsh or Weatherpack or F35 grade milspec whatever else. I do this all the time.
Its a good thought, but I really need to research electrical interference issues. The brake pad wear sensor is probably a straightforward DC signal that is relatively unaffected by electrical noise. But the speed sensor is (I think) an AC signal that is probably much more susceptible to electrical noise. Both of these connections are relatively close to the spark plugs. This could explain why the Porsche connectors are so large and bulky. The theory is that the connectors act as a barrier to ignition electrical noise that could affect the AC signal from the speed sensor.

I understand that some owners remove or disable the ABS completely, but is this really advisable on a C4? Won't this mean a constant dash warning light and won't it affect safety? Sorry for all the dumb questions, but this is my first Porsche which was a barn find and is still being resurrected. I have not had a chance to drive it yet, but that day is approaching.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:32 AM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Received 351 Likes on 248 Posts

I would certainly never give up ABS because parts are frustrating. If you are going racing or some such and want that by design, sure, but otherwise zero reason not to keep it functional. Pad wear sensors... I tried then I pulled the bulb from the dash

If you want originals Delaware is almost always the least expensive I've found https://www.delawareporscheparts.com...ss-96461218500

Regarding interference, I believe the speed sensors are hall effect and have no clue how they may or may not be effected by the high voltage circuits but somehow doubt the Porsche plastic bit is the only way to solve it, if in fact it is solving it.
Old 11-07-2020, 11:45 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 218 Posts

You might also check with Mike at Autobahn Dismantling. He gets the cast offs from the Singer builds and has parts from nearly 200 964's.
Old 12-10-2020, 01:03 PM
No_snivelling
Burning Brakes

Thanks Jpoint,

I did reach out to Mike at Autobahn Dismantling and you were right, he does have some of these used harnesses on hand and at a very nice discount. But by the time I pay shipping etc to get it to Canada it hits a tipping point for me. So I am leaning in the direction of making my own harness with the plastic housing done on a 3D printer. I thank everyone for their input! If I get 'er done, I will post back here with results.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:43 PM
onceover
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

I hate to say it but I think it's highly unlikely a 3D printed part will last any appreciable amount of time before falling apart.

A better alternative might be to find a sealed connector and solder it to the existing harness. Sure it wont be OEM, but it will hold up way better than a 3D printed part.

This is the style of connectors I'm referring to - the name of them is eluding me right now. Edit: Delphi makes a version called the Weather Pack

Last edited by onceover; 12-11-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-11-2020, 01:06 PM
No_snivelling
Burning Brakes

Hey Onceover,

I partially agree with you. If you look at the design Porsche used, you will see that the white connector housing is contained within a black plastic split housing that is hinged to allow access to the connector. My plan was to use a high quality 3D printer to make the white plastic part so that it fits snugly inside the black split housing (like the OEM design) so it cannot rattle around inside and it would be better protected from water, mud etc. My plan was to make the white part hollow so it could fit a connector like what you have shown.

I would print the white part out of ABS which is very durable. The ABS part would be protected by the OEM black split housing. I don't anticipate any problems with degradation. I have heard of some 3D parts delaminating but these were printed on really cheap printers and I expect the print speed was accelerated to the point where one layer is not properly bonding to the next. With the proper material selection, proper heat and cooling control, proper layer thickness and proper print speed, delamination can be avoided. But hey, with a waterproof connector inside the ABS 3D printed housing which is inside the black housing, do we really care if the ABS part cracks?

Besides, I have already convinced my wife how much money we will save by not buying Porsche original parts and thus justifying the purchase of my new toy, I mean my new 3D printer.
Old 09-26-2021, 01:56 PM
No_snivelling
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gerakroo
Did you ever bring this to market?

Quick Reply: $400 for a short piece of wire?