Sponsored by:

Tire Dust behind wheel arches

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 12:51 PM
pcaulfield10
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Dust behind wheel arches

Yesterday I had my first outing with some of the local Porsche Owners. We had a spirited drive through the Rocky Mountains between Boulder and Estes Park, Colorado. Day was beautiful, driving incredible and company well suited to my current level of driving skills.

The question, last night in looking over my 91 C4 I noticed a black dust behind both front and rear wheel arches on both sides. It was heavier in the rear then the front. I am thinking that this is tire scrub off, because I didn't use the brakes very hard (or very often), but I did get into some drifting under power.

Any thoughts?

Pat
Old 03-22-2004, 02:40 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably brake dust and road grime...
Old 03-23-2004, 10:16 AM
pcaulfield10
Track Day

That was my first thought also, but it is heavier behind the rear wheels (fronts do most of the work..right?) and the wheels themselves have little to no dust on them.

Pat
Old 03-23-2004, 11:36 AM
schiles
Advanced

Pat...
I had the same thing happen to me this past Sunday. Fairly "spirited" driving as well - not the first time this has happened. When I wash the car it appears to be both road grime, as well as tire "scrub-off". Ive got fairly new, large footprint Conti's that seem to have a fairly soft compound - most of it seems to spray off with water and the remainder can be carefully removed during washing with a soft towel.

I do wonder if it would make sense over time to invest in one of these clear plastic protective products. Id be interested if anyone has any thoughts on their effectiveness, especially on a white car??

thanks!

Steve
Old 03-23-2004, 09:22 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 922 Likes on 562 Posts

Steve,

Did you use tire dressing on the tires? That can spray off and attract dust.

I think the clear protection products are a great idea. I suggest them to everyone. They are a small cost to proctect your paint.

Matt
Old 03-23-2004, 11:14 PM
schiles
Advanced

Thanks MAtt - I use tire dressing but the larger black "spots" in this area would appear to be rubber-like. Im going to take a closer look this weekend to see if I can narrow it down.

thanks...

Steve

Quick Reply: Tire Dust behind wheel arches