Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hall sensor fault - my experience (long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 06:40 AM
Youcef
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hall sensor fault - my experience (long)

For the little that it is worth I thought I might post my experince with a hall sensor fault code.

Over the last month or so I had noticed my C4 feeling a little down on power at around 4000 rpm plus, it just didnt have that surge through to 6000. I initially thought it was a lack of fuel and took on an injector clean (another post ).

Along with a lack of power I noticed that dropping from revs to idle would sometimes stall when cold and when warm would still involve a drop below 600 and then onto 800 +-40 and still a little rough.

I also noticed that from idle as soon as the ISV microswitch was deactivated the revs dropped and then picked up again, this would happen cold or hot. You would only need to literaly touch the accelerator and this would happen.

Anyway I just happened to be at my local dealer and they so kindly offered to check the resonance valve operation as I was still looking for that power above 4000. Turns out we couldnt get the PST2 to function the resonance valve but we did turn up the hall sensor fault code. We cleared the code started the car and again the code logged.

I took the car home and decided to investigate, again thanks to my local dealer armed with a print out from the workshop diagnosis and Adrians book I decided to check the wiring at the connector to the hall sensor. I found the ground broken and brown wire broken.

I figured I would run a small test, I started the car with the hall sensor completely disconnected, started and performed the same as it had for the last month or so.

I then repaired the wires, not properly yet as I dont have the right size heat shrink but enough to get good continuity.

First thing I noticed after start up was that the idle would not dip a single rev anymore and it was rock solid hot or cold. Needless to say that the power at 4000 plus was back with vengeance but the whole power range was smoother.

Thats my 2c worth.

Youcef

Quick Reply: Hall sensor fault - my experience (long)