Tool Set Poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 09:56 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally posted by ian c - u.k
the only thing i wouldn't scrape on are ................

torque wrench ,
jack ,
stands ,
pry-bars ,

and anything thats likely to hurt you if it fails !!!
Missing from this list is "any tool that touches a fastener". This means sockets, box-end wrenches, allen wrenches, and all screw drivers.

Fastener damage from cheap tools is easy to spot. It makes me suspicious about use of cheap parts and other repair short-cuts.

Visit the Snap-On web site for a detailed explanation of why their tools won't round or damage fasteners. Anyone that has a hobby-grade tool and a professional tool, use them on a double-nut on a high-strength fastener that you are strong enough to break. A cheap tool will round the hex nut. Use two professional tools back-to-back, and you will break the bolt at more than double the torque developed by the hobby grade tool.

You may do fine for a long time with hobby grade tools, but you will come to grief when you face a particularly stubborn fastener. You need the extra margin provided by good wrenches to stay out of trouble. Damage only one fastener to the point where you can't remove it, and you cost yourself far more than you save on inferior tools.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:21 PM
Tony_D
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ramps

Anyone have a recommendation for a set of ramps that work well for a lowered 964?
Old 03-26-2004, 03:54 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Good question. I am thinking about stacking and nailing lumber sections to step up gently enough to avoid scraping the chin. The problem with ramps is finding space to put them when not needed.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:55 PM
JoeW
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have "rhino ramps" which actually worked with an earlier car I had with only 3.5" of clearance and a lip spoiler. They only give about 7" of lift so I have an additional 'ramp' to them of 2x10s, staggered so it adds another 3" -- works great.

I believe they cost me about $35 at a parts store near here. They're plastic and light weight so pretty easy to store.

Hope this helps. Joe W

Quick Reply: Tool Set Poll