Sponsored by:

Rod Bolt Instillation Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 05:41 PM
madsonryan
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rod Bolt Instillation Issue

I'm working on the rebuild of my '93 and today was planning to do the rod assembly, but ran into an issue and I wonder if others have encountered. After I got the bearing shells ready I then went to set up the rod bolt, but could not get them to drop into place. Also not wanting to force anything. I gave them a light oil as well and no luck. Out of curiosity I mic'ed them to compare against the old rod bolts and my new bolts measure .025mm larger diameter. I don't have any sense if that is normal or within spec and I just need to keep working them in until they get in place. Taking my old rod bolts off did require a light tap so I can't imagine there is much extra room on the rods themselves for a slightly larger diameter bolt. I can't even get them in far enough to pull them though by their tread with the rod nut. I double checked that the part number on the bag is correct, so I'm not sure what my next steps are here. Has anyone else had any issues like this before?

Old 08-23-2020, 07:11 PM
964Andrew
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts

Mine were tight as well. I made sure everything was very clean all around and tapped them in. I think they stretch when they are tightened to spec and that's why it's easier to get them out than put in.

Thanks!
Andrew

Quick Reply: Rod Bolt Instillation Issue