Sponsored by:

Pictures of finished product, mixed feelings

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 11:38 AM
C4TT
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Doug,
My personal taste would be to have the seat cussions covered in black so that you only have red accents.
I think an all black seat would look better than the grey and red...
But then again I like sticking to 2 tones...
I think the gauge surround and seat backs would be plenty in terms of highlights in the cockpit...

But overall it looks unique!

Greg
Old 03-16-2004, 04:51 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the dash looks very acceptable. What is making the interior unbalanced is the seat colour. Black with red stitchings will probably look nice. I don't think the red and the grey/white cushions go together. I think too much red as another poster has in his speedster is probably too much for most people (like the riviera blue 993 cab(?) on e-bay some time ago).
The RS door cards will probably complement the appearance.

Harry
Old 03-16-2004, 07:18 PM
C4TT
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed!
Get the grey cushions covered in black leather to complete the 2 tone
Old 03-16-2004, 08:36 PM
Wonkdonk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug - love the seat backs, but agree with some of the others regarding the dash and seat inserts. I like the white dials though.

I generally think less is more, and think the seatbacks work really well in your car, just not the inserts. I'd follow the advice posted earlier though - wait a while before making any decisions. When I first got mine there were no end of things I was going to change aesthetically, but now, I kind of like things the wat they are. Ok, some parts of the car look dated by todays tastes, but that's part of the charm of these cars, isn't it?

But hell, what do I know, mine's black on black with a bit more black! (Oh, and some red piping!)
Old 03-16-2004, 08:43 PM
jonesey
Addict
Rennlist Member

Easy man...give yourself some style points on that color combination
Old 03-16-2004, 09:22 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the opinions and emotions raised by this thread are great!!! NOWHERE else but the Rennlist 964 board would a dialogue like this take place!

From a personal taste perspective, I would agree with Arjan, and like everything stock, I also (for the record) dislike tinted glass, whale tails, chrome wheels (yes I know I have chrome wheels!!) stickers/decals, 18" wheels etc.

However, I think what Doug has accomplished has been done to a super high standard and 'goes' with the exterior of this car. Doug has spent the right amount of money and been particular about the standards employed..it has paid off.

IMHO as long as you can appreciate what is trying to be achieved it is possible to give constructive comment and feedback regardless of whether it lights your own personal candle!!

My $0.02 is that Doug's car looks better than the pics posted by Roy, has a more modern, less gauche, top flight feel to it...

...the more I look at the pics, the more impressive it looks!

To repeat from an earlier post - the wheel and door panels could stand to be changed IMO to make it appear more uniform, but past that (especially avoiding the red gearshift or handbrake) I would let it sit for a while before making any drastic reversals!

--H
Old 03-16-2004, 09:35 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

I really appreciate all of the positive feedback and help everyone is offering. I also fully respect and understand eveyone's point of view. It is hard doing your dream car as something that is one-off so to speak without making it look tacky or shall I saw rice.

I have decided to have both solid black and solid red inserts made. This will give me a choice and perhaps I will like them enough where I change them up from time to time. Who says cars are not meant to be toys and fun.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:35 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

I actually like it very much with the exeption of the stock steering wheel, shifter and e-brake. They now look a bit poor compared to the rest. All black inserts would not hurt either. Love the seatbacks, I plan on doing them on my red cabrio too.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:26 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Sorry, not my cup of tea.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:00 AM
fore!
Instructor

As the owner of a red car... I think you're almost there.

I think we need to see red inserts in the seats, RS door panels with red pulls, a new wheel with red stiching, red boot on the shifter and handle on the brake (just the bit you grip).

And then you have one wicked ride.

I love spending other peoples money
Old 03-17-2004, 11:18 AM
Bluey964
Rennlist Member

Doug,

I think what you've done is great - getting to be almost like a speedster in some ways, but still usable as a day to day car. I think that the cabrio's can be a bit more outrageous compared to coupes - I have a tahoe blue cab and would love to put in the RS seats with the painted dash/ white dials, but with a baby on the way don't think I'd be allowed by the wife for budget reasons!

I must say that putting a RS steering wheel and door covers on in matching accents would make it even better in my opinion! n my car I'd though about getting the wheels painted in the body colour, with just the silver rim left on them. Not sure if it'd work on yours, but one more thing for you to consider for the future when you get bored!

Keep posting so the rest of us can drool!
Old 03-17-2004, 04:32 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Another $ 250.00 at the dealer to get the airbag light to go off and the car is back to enjoy on a nice sunny day. Someone asked for a wider angle shot so I though I would attach.
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2004, 04:34 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

One more from the back.
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2004, 04:35 PM
ian c - u.k

hey doug ,
how do you get the girls in the back ??
also m, are you going to fit red harnesses ??

looking cool from that angle
Old 03-17-2004, 04:52 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Not sure if it is because of the many times I have looked at it here in this post... but the darn things just looks better everyday...

I will still do the door panels and, as someone else suggested, the steering wheel.

Nice looking car Doug!!!

Quick Reply: Pictures of finished product, mixed feelings