Sponsored by:

jump starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 02:19 PM
CJB
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jump starting

My 1990 LHD C4 Cab has been sitting up while I have been waiting to repair a lock / door handle problem that has been triggering the alarm and generally being a pain in the neck. Now, the battery is dead. Is it ok to jump start from another vehicle? Do I need to slow charge it? It is my usual every or every other day driver so I haven't invested in a battery maintainer.

Do I need to reset anything after (or before) recharging / jumping? Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:53 PM
jonesey
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CJB...this is a relatively commom problem. Refer to your manual for guidelines on jump starting, you'll find it is acceptable. I would caution you to make sure that you are using a similar battery...do not allow a towing service to come jump you. A trickle charge is always best if it is convenient.

Consider an Optima or Excide as an alternative...more power
Old 03-14-2004, 09:07 PM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would do better to charge the battery up first and not jump-start he Porsche. Jump starting is mainly for low, not dead batteries. If you have electricity in the garage, consider a battery maintainer to avoid a dead battery
Old 03-15-2004, 04:07 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear CJB,
If the battery is completely flat it will have reset your DME for you by removing power.
I have jumped started dead flat batteries in my 964 without problems. If procedures are followed it cannot cause problems. However it might be an idea to find out WHY? You have a dead battery because I would not make a habit of doing jump starts.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

Quick Reply: jump starting