Sponsored by:

Pics of new interior with RS Seats and Red Guage surround

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 02:50 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally posted by Ruairidh
I agree on both points - and the RS panels must be lighter - there is a company (no connection) which always has them on eBay.

I also agree with Youseff - the original wheel is looking like it needs to go. Dont you love it when other people spend your money!!

As for the final decision on what works, well I reckon that is for you. If you get a kick out of it - go for it. If it is true that the easiest 911's to sell are the stock ones, well you're already so far away from that point (as are most of us) that making it into a car you really dig makes sense to me.
I was talking with the Porsche Manager at my dealership and he loves/wants this car and had offered me mid $ 30s on trade for a new turbo convertible.

Anyway, he said that the car is already loud on the outside so why not do the interior. The car really looks so much better in person. The dash does not stand out as much in person and seems much less dramatic. Everything kind of fits or works when you see it in person except the seat cushion colors may be a worry. I really just need to wait and see it all together and get a feeling for it over a few days.
Old 03-13-2004, 02:57 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

America:

Do you have a pad that fit beneath the bottom seat insert cushions. I only have a lumbar pad. My bottom cushion sits very low and shows the metal clips on the sides. Perhaps a taller driver took them out at some point and they are now gone.

If you have a bottom cushion to go under the bottom inserts, I would be appreciate a picture of the cushion or could you give me the dimensions so that I can have my shop make one for me. I would like to raise the bottom cushions up a bit.
Old 03-13-2004, 03:11 PM
ian c - u.k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think its on that copy of PET i sent you doug
Old 03-13-2004, 03:34 PM
ian c - u.k

964 521 791 00

probobly a recaro.de part
Old 03-13-2004, 04:42 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doug,

I'm not sure when driver's side airbags became mandatory but it seems to be an issue when trying to title a car for street use, e.g. importing a non-airbag RS. Such cars need to be modified with airbags. Obviously, its removal compromises the car's safety system, so proceed with caution.

As for the red seat insert, I think there's a big difference between your car and America's which is clad in Cassis Red from head to toe. Your car's interior is primarily black and the relatively moderate use of red is not in the same league. Like others suggested, a hint of red on the doors, seat cushions and steering wheel should pull it all together nicely. But please, no red shift ****!
Old 03-13-2004, 07:19 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doug,

I don't think the red looks good on the cushions and America's colour combo is better. If you want a striking colour you should look at the triple magenta. I like that combo but it may be too much for some (probably more at home in the Rubystone colour car).

Harry
Old 03-13-2004, 07:21 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have a look at this interior from the 993 board - see second post down

Old 03-13-2004, 07:25 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

I may just go solid black on the front or inquire about have the seats re-sewn with red stiching. Solid black and red stiching might look good.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:48 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Now you're talking.
Old 03-13-2004, 10:22 PM
JoeW
Pro

I think there's a difference between the body color use in your car and in America's car -- in his car the interior -- dash and carpet and all -- is already the exterior color. Adding the seatbacks would be overkill, imo, and I agree with his decision in that case.

Airbags ... I just had to check on this as my new buggy has a Momo. (Bear in mind that Mass. laws may make a difference for Tenn. registration -- everything is different in Mass. ) It is legal for me (owner) to remove the bag but not so good (don't know about illegal) for a mechanic to remove it for me (liability issues as a minimum). And it is legal for me to drive the car (and get it to pass safety inspection in our state) because it is SRS (supplemental restraint) and the primary restraint (seat belts) is still intact. Or so I was told.

As I said above, I agree on the doors ... some red will help. But I also agree with your fear ... it will be easy to overdo. Go easy. The RS would be a nice touch. A lot of companies have light-weights with the "deviated" color pulls if you decide on it.

Hope this helps. J
Old 03-14-2004, 12:22 AM
Stephen Smith
Advanced

Doug
Killer job on the seats, good times yeah!
I can't really say with the dash, but I take your word for it looking much better in the flesh.
I agree with the others that the steering wheel isn't in sync with the other upgrades, but it would be nice if you could retain the air-bag, so that it something for you to explore. I also think that the side door panels need to upgraded to the RS versions to go with the seats, dash, s-wheel and pedals.
Good luck
93 C2 Tip
Old 03-14-2004, 08:45 AM
JonSeigel
Pro

Yes, it's time for a new steering wheel. The ones posted by Joey are very nice. I also like the stock 993 wheel.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:37 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by joey bagadonuts
Doug,

Like others suggested, a hint of red on the doors, seat cushions and steering wheel should pull it all together nicely. But please, no red shift ****!

Nothing wrong with a red shifter But the carpet is

Harry
Old 03-14-2004, 01:25 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Harry, I MUST have the number of your decorator! That Persian is brilliant!

One last suggestion, Doug:

993RS wheel from http://www.porsche-shop.co.uk
Old 03-14-2004, 01:50 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

RSMan:

Great looking car. The color of your inserts have really confused me. I was thinking all black, but I like the subtle two tone appearance of the darker grey inserts.

Is there a cushion or pad underneath the two bottom inserts. My bottom seat cushions sit very low and I only have the cushion or pad for the lumbar or to go behind the lumbar inserts.

I would really appreciate if someone could photograph the cushion or pad that is beneath the bottom two inserts so that I can give my shop an idea as to how to make it.

Joey:

Thanks. I definitely need a new steering wheel. ANyone know how difficult it would be to replace the column with the smaller round column that was on the Turbo S or something similar.

Quick Reply: Pics of new interior with RS Seats and Red Guage surround