I suppose you 964 guys...
That was a quick switch

Congrats on your new Porsche.

Old 03-12-2004, 04:34 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally posted by Phil Raby
So what? I've been to the Boxster factory in Finland and it's a stunning facility - better than the German one - and the workers there are excellent. There is no difference between a Boxster made in Germany and one made in Finland.

Cheers
Ok Fair enough.

I don't know were the engines are made. But out of seven people I know that have had Boxsters (five Boxsters and two Boxster S's) only the two Boxster S's have not required complete factory replacement or rebuild of the engines amongst other issues. Each of the Boxsters were low mileage well maintained cars.

As I said earlier I like the Boxster. Hey I also like and own a 914. I have also owned a 928. They are all great cars. But nothing compares to the air cooled 911's. I was driving a friends 996 the other day. Very responsive handled very much more like a Boxster and my 740IL BMW than a 911.

I could never give up owning at least one air cooled 911. I would think about replacing the 914 with a Boxster S but never could it be a substitute for the raw pleasure derived from an air cooled 911.

As in Doves case he is not planning on owning a daily driver. If you only have limited time to enjoy a car why not buy the car that gives the maximum exhilaration.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:11 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally posted by dove
Wow what a response,what can I say except there is a stunning silver aero styled 17 inch alloy 50k virtually new Porsche sitting in my garage.
Dont get me wrong the 911 is one awsome motor car,but look what I get for 14,1/2K,A modern looking Porsche that feels great to drive if somewhat underpowered and check out the service costs 12K service £200!
Its not going to be an everyday driver none of my Porsches have been,last week I bought a 99 Merc E240 V6 fully loaded as an everyday car and we also have the family 4X4 so the 2 seater issue isnt.As a Sunday toy the Boxter does fit the bill as I said earlier the guy who owned it was very very fussy and transformed the look of the car with add ons,its a great car.
I suppose you 964 guys will rightly argue the point which is the better car so feeling outnumbered I may bring some of my new Boxter friends to the 964 forum for support now wheres my hairdryer.

Paul
Congratulations on your new Porsche.... now do what is appropriate and post photos of that baby (even if it is not a 964)
Old 03-12-2004, 05:26 PM
dove
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll try and get some pics of the Boxster this weekend, nice to see some of you appreciating all Porsches.Doug did you see "Q's" car under the post "show off your Boxster" on the Boxster forum,wow I have to get some of those speedster humps.

Paul
Old 03-12-2004, 05:34 PM
Michael Delaney
Racer

You are correct Kamdus. It is lunchtime. A glass of wine and a good belly laugh are very healthy. As for the Boxster. I think the saying should be 911, There is no substitute.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:56 PM
dove
Banned

Originally posted by Roy Eames
You are correct Kamdus. It is lunchtime. A glass of wine and a good belly laugh are very healthy. As for the Boxster. I think the saying should be 911, There is no substitute.
Yeah here we go the age old debate about how good a 911 is compared to other Porsches,if you 911 eliteists want to think that go ahead I dare say you wouldnt be seen dead in a 924,well let me tell you guys a Porsche Is a Porsche.
Ive owned a 924,4 x 944,968,2 x 928S2,S4,2 x 911SC,964,and now the Boxster and loved every one of them.The spirit of Porsche is what its about and if you aint got that then your just another sad poser.

Paul
Old 03-12-2004, 06:12 PM
dumluk
Intermediate

As a good friend Dave (another 911 owner) sez,

"Boxsters are cool but 911s rule!"
Old 03-12-2004, 06:22 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Dove,

If you are driving down that twisty road and that Big grin is on your face, you made the right choice.

Good luck and don't let the mod bug bite.

Old 03-12-2004, 06:34 PM
Michael Delaney
Racer

Dove, Please don't call me a sad poser. I'm in fact a happy poser. And the way you say eliteist you make it sound like a bad thing. I hope you know this is all in fun. Just so you are truly happy with your new car.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:44 PM
dove
Banned

Originally posted by Roy Eames
Dove, Please don't call me a sad poser. I'm in fact a happy poser. And the way you say eliteist you make it sound like a bad thing. I hope you know this is all in fun. Just so you are truly happy with your new car.
Go polish your chrome alloys.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:15 PM
MadHungarian
Addict
Rennlist Member

The '97 thru '99 Boxsters are great cars; the '00s and later are greater yet: and the Ss are the greatest. I had an '84 911 Targa that I drove for years. The milage was getting way up there, so I sold it and bought a low milage '98 Boxster. Drove it for a year. It just wasn't a 911--all that seat time in the '84 spoiled me! I sold it, bought a '91 Targa, and I haven't looked back. The Boxster may be the car for you, and if it is, you will LOVE it. But if you loved the heck out of your previous 964, you may well find yourself back here within a year. And that's ok. If you do go with the Boxster, look at it as an experiment. We only go around once, and the worst case scenario isn't all that bad, what with both the 986s and the 964s nearing the bottom of their depreciation curves. You have only a little money to loose, and a lot of knowledge about the cars and yourself to gain. A reasonable trade-off. I'm not sorry I did it. Good luck with either course of action!
Old 03-12-2004, 07:29 PM
Michael Delaney
Racer

I'll be taking my chrome polish an going home now.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:27 PM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Paul
C2 cab Strosek conversion."

Needs changing
Old 03-13-2004, 01:40 PM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Paul

Good luck with the new car. I can sort of see the attraction of a Boxster; nowhere for the sprogs though. Make sure you post some pix and come back to chat to us from time to time!

Cheers
Old 03-13-2004, 04:32 PM
dove
Banned

Originally posted by Phil Raby
Paul

Good luck with the new car. I can sort of see the attraction of a Boxster; nowhere for the sprogs though. Make sure you post some pix and come back to chat to us from time to time!

Cheers
Thanks Phil,if I need to take the sprogs out it will have to be in the comfort of the Merc,I will post some details and a pic of the car in the near future.
David the guy I bought the Boxster from has a Boxster S now with every concievable engine mod,twin turbo etc,the car has a claimed 450 bhp
It would make a great feature in 911 world Phil.

Cheers

Paul

Quick Reply: turbo look v boxter