Sponsored by:

Thoughts on hydraulic leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 12:30 PM
willmip
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Thoughts on hydraulic leak

Having recently overhauled my PDAS, I refitted with new hoses and lines. I noticed yesterday a small leak from one of the lines (arrowed), so nipped it a bit tighter. However, it's still leaking.

It does look like the line is not perpendicular to the screw, so I'm not sure whether to try bending the line a bit in situ and tightening the screw again, or just remove the line, poke about and restart
(I really am sick of bleeding!)

Any suggestions?

Old 06-14-2020, 02:04 PM
jonathant
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Try loosening the other end of that hardline a little, so it can rotate. Then loosen, wiggle/reposition, and retighten the leaking fitting. After that, go back and retighten the Other end again.

Basically, since the leaking end is sensitive to alignment, and the Other is a straighter coupling where clocking does not matter as much take care of the sensitive end first.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:53 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Received 351 Likes on 248 Posts

Is that NiCopp? I've used to to good success on brake lines for my Alfa but am frankly not certain if the PDAS sees higher pressure and if its suitable. For sure its easily formed so you can likely fix the alignment. Did you flare it yourself? Its easy, even with good tools, to get a slightly off center flare that could lead to a leak.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:14 AM
willmip
Racer

It's from Porsche, so I hope it's fit for purpose.

I loosened both ends and re tightened the cylinder end first yesterday as suggested, then bled (again). Just checked and it's still leaking but a bit less. Will give it a small extra squeeze with the spanner again and check tomorrow.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:15 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I would be tempted to disassemble, reclean and reassemble. If you have a small bit of grit and any misalignment, the fitting will leak.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:34 AM
willmip
Racer

I think you're right.....
Old 06-18-2020, 07:54 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
I would be tempted to disassemble, reclean and reassemble. If you have a small bit of grit and any misalignment, the fitting will leak.
My thoughts exactly. When leaking and just tightening doesn't do it, pulling it all out and redoing it has been the solution. I would bleed anyway, even if you didn't crack the lines. If fluid can come out, air can get in - and I will never feel safe driving.

You should visually inspect your coupling too once apart to see if there is any damage. I've never personally seen that... But I have limited experience (4 times in my life this far).

Quick Reply: Thoughts on hydraulic leak