Sponsored by:

Oil/grease leak from rear wheel hub

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 09:16 AM
freno a mano
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil/grease leak from rear wheel hub

Yesterday after a hard drive I noticed some grease/oil leaking from the center rear hub/axle, more on the left side.
I read that it is normal to get a little grease pushed out through a relief hole due to the heavy loading while tracking the car.
Have you experienced the same thing? Do I have to refill the grease in some way?

I can also hear a squeaking coming from the rear left wheel (only after hard drive). I though it was the Pagid pad and a piston slightly locked, because as soon as i little hit the brake the squeaking disappear ( and start again under big braking but it's normal and different). I wish the squeaking is not coming from the hub....

Old 05-29-2020, 03:10 PM
A914MAN
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Time for a closer inspection. Take the wheel, caliper and rotor off. My guess is the seal on the wheel bearing has failed.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:56 PM
bricem13
Instructor

Hi

not willing to hijack OP's thread but I had to look this afternoon at my car rear brakes as I had feeling that a rear wheel was blocked... not coming from brakes or parking brake.

Although here the hubs:
left: a bit sticky at the end of the shaft

right: more stick with some splashing

so I'm good to take disc off??

what would need to be replaced here?
Old 05-29-2020, 05:48 PM
freno a mano
Instructor

Originally Posted by bricem13
Hi

not willing to hijack OP's thread but I had to look this afternoon at my car rear brakes as I had feeling that a rear wheel was blocked... not coming from brakes or parking brake.

Although here the hubs:
left: a bit sticky at the end of the shaft

right: more stick with some splashing

so I'm good to take disc off??

what would need to be replaced here?

Same mine, only a little more.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:59 PM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 160 Posts

I just took apart my CV joints and noticed that the shaft is hollow all the way out through the axle. Why this is I don’t know but it does allow for air to pass in and out of both the inner and outer CV’s. Wha what your looking at in those pics is CV grease that has traveled out through the axle.

Pete
Old 05-30-2020, 04:29 AM
freno a mano
Instructor

Originally Posted by Peteinjp
I just took apart my CV joints and noticed that the shaft is hollow all the way out through the axle. Why this is I don’t know but it does allow for air to pass in and out of both the inner and outer CV’s. Wha what your looking at in those pics is CV grease that has traveled out through the axle.

Pete
interesting. Few months ago my inner cv boot broken and I had them replaced and grease reffilled. Do you think this can be the cause of the current leak?

Quick Reply: Oil/grease leak from rear wheel hub