Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freaking out about Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004 | 12:22 AM
eddychan
Racer

Great pictures!
Not quite 9 o'clock but I would say this is warm enough to be sure about the oil level.( MUST pass the second slot)
Spot on three o'clock.
Great stuff!
Nice and clear! You have to thank the digital camera also it makes life a lot easier !
Cheers! Jason.

Eddie
Old 04-01-2004 | 03:39 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Rick,

Do not worry too much about the consumption.

#1 was the fresh fill of oil exactly to the max level?
#2 If you keep the oil to the max level, consuption will be more then in between min and max mark.
#3 if used a other brand oil, consuption can be higher the first couple of miles

My oil consumption is with a never rebuilt engine, same olde valve guides and 102000 miles about 1 Liter Mobil 1 0W40 on 4000 Kilometers [2500 miles]

Time will tell you the real data, no stress please.

15 Dollars for a liter of oil now and then is much better then a rebuilt from 10000 Dollar
Old 04-01-2004 | 09:56 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Chip,

Thanks for the info, makes perfect sense since I usually decelerate in gear also. I just need more real driving...

Re: Temperature gauge, IMO that picture is plenty good for checking the level. Obviously it varies a bit regarding the temperature, that's why (as Joey said) it's not good to fill it up all the way to the top, then you get too close to overfilling it.
Also make sure you check the oil level after the thermostat has opened.
Oil level gauge reads differently before & after the thermostat has opened (and oil is running to front oil cooler).
Old 04-01-2004 | 10:19 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Jason. A picture really is worth a thousand words (BTW, is that Jeff Spicolli at the wheel in your avatar? Brilliant ).

Eddie, 3 o'clock sounds right.
Old 04-01-2004 | 10:34 AM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the input guys... I always go by the guage - the dipstick is IMPOSSIBLE to read, and is ridiculous. I would usually fill to about 2:00 on the guage (maybe 1:45 ), drive for a while until the guage dropped and would no longer register at idle, then add oil to get the guage back to 1:45.

Is it OK to add oil while the car is idling? It's a pain to turn it off, add some oil, start it back up to see how close you are, turn it off....etc.
Old 04-01-2004 | 06:49 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, you can add oil when it's idling. Now go out and enjoy your ride.

Quick Reply: Freaking out about Oil Consumption