Sponsored by:

Updating 964 AC using Griffith air or switching to Electric air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 02:02 PM
2000m2
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by kkiley77
So I'd like to hear from the Classic Retrofit guys on the progress on the electric A/C Heat combination unit for the 964. I have a 1990 C4 with poor performing A/C and terrible heat since I have FabSpeed's "heat exchanger" full exhaust- it just doesn't produce enough heat to even mildly heat the cabin in the winter. I've ordered a full new system from G-Force that uses converted 993 heat exchangers- but wondering if the Classic Retrofit would be a better solution and avoid the smell of burning oil (yes- my 964 3.6 still drips onto the heat exchangers- nothing to do about it but a full rebuild- $20k later- that I don't have). That could push my rebuild back years as the engine runs wonderfully otherwise and the smell is the only real issue- I can alway add/ change oil! Even with the G-Force unit installed- I may decide to go the electric route on heat- but I honestly can't imagine little heat units in the air channel would give me enough cabin heat in a Colorado winter.
Do you have heated seats? Might help slightly.
Old 06-27-2021, 06:01 PM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Could we get testimonials from installers and end user in So. Cal. that have installed Classic Retrofit Electric systems? This would be super helpful..
Old 06-27-2021, 07:27 PM
kkiley77
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, I don't. Wouldn't make much difference- when it's cold here it's COLD- and I need something that can defrost the windows. The original OEM heat exchangers warmed the cabin and kept the windscreen clear in no time at all- the FabSpeed barely does anything at all-

Quick Reply: Updating 964 AC using Griffith air or switching to Electric air conditioning