Sponsored by:

Porsche Certified Engine Restoration Lifespan

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 05:15 AM
maxthedog
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Certified Engine Restoration Lifespan

First time poster and I apologize in advance if this question has been answered before. I made a good faith effort to find the answer, I promise.

What is the life span of a restored/rebuilt engine for a 911/964. This is assuming a company that specializes in Porsche engines. I realize that inevitably there will be other things that will malfunction on an almost 30 year old car, but I need to at least minimize my wife's shock when I tell her I want to buy a car with 150K+ miles on in (the rebuild is in progress).

Anyways, thanks for your help.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:14 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

It depends on what type of rebuild your doing. Top end only, or splitting the case and doing everything. Complete rebuild should be like a new engine. Of course, it also depends on the quality of the work.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:35 AM
maxthedog
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by newsboy
It depends on what type of rebuild your doing. Top end only, or splitting the case and doing everything. Complete rebuild should be like a new engine. Of course, it also depends on the quality of the work.
Thanks, I reached out for more information. I'll post when I get more details.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:05 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

It also depends on if it is an early or late style engine. If early was it updated at least machined to accommodate rings? A list of all seals and other items being replaced is critical although there are other issues these cars coming up on 30 years old need addressing. Were the oil and fuel lines replaced recently? what condition are the spring plates and suspension bushings in? Shocks etc.

i just dropped my 62k mile late MY engine to do a valve lash adjustment and slipping clutch disk. The slipping was a result of the trans front seal leaking causing a huge mess. There was absolutely no signs of any issues externally. These are great cars but need lots of TLC as they get older. I rebuild everything when I do any work whether it needs it or not but I do my own work. This way I always know what was done and it usually lasts a very long time when I am done. If you try to own these on a budget they can actually cost you more in the long run.

Quick Reply: Porsche Certified Engine Restoration Lifespan