964 door card rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 04:29 AM
NBL
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 964 door card rebuild

1991 964 C2 tip

My 964 had a light grey interior. I replaced the carpet with black, nightmare job. The seats, rear parcel tray and rear side panels are at the upholsterer getting the full dark tan leather treatment. The intention was to leave the door cards to the upholsterer, but I'm driving the car with a race seat at the moment, and the Grey door cards were doing my head in. We are in covid lockdown for a month, so I though I would rebuild the door cards in black, knowing that the could go to the upholsterer anyway if I buggered it up.

I used an aluminium door card off eBay and covered them with some pretty standard automotive vinyl. I sprayed the handle, the door tops, and the armrest/lid black - which worked a treat. I had already done the whole dash In black and it turned out stunning.

I bought some new plastic door pockets, which I used parts to rebuild the existing door pockets - the original external skins were thicker and a better fit under the lids, so I drilled the old rivits and used the internal plastic structure and re-attached them to the old outer skin. Then covered the pocket in vinyl.

I removed the speakers and the lock opener to keep it simple.

Drivers door done. To be honest, it's not the greatest job and I don't think I could live with it forever. But at least it's black for now.....

Passenger and drivers door photos attached for comparison.

What I really want is the old handle and the armrest, but no pocket. Sort of a combo between the singer armrest and the 964 handle. I think it's doable....

Old 03-29-2020, 06:45 AM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think looks good.

Quick Reply: 964 door card rebuild