Rear Brake Overhaul Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 03:11 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts
Default Rear Brake Overhaul Questions

I’m getting ready to overhaul my rear brakes and I was hoping to get some guidance before I dig into it next weekend. The reason for the overhaul is my right rear caliper is slightly sticking which has increased the pad wear. It started shortly after I had my undercarriage steam cleaned and I’m convinced the caliper lubrication is gone as I know they sprayed the brakes down heavily during the cleaning process. It’s not enough to cause any overheating, even after several canyon runs so again I’m hoping it’s not the puck itself.

So far this is what I have on my list of parts:
- Pads
- Rotors
- ATE lubricant
- Brake Fluid
- Caliper Hangers
- Caliper Bolts
- Rotor Screws
- Pad Shims
- Wear Sensors
- Disc Brake Hardware Kit
- Caliper Spreader

https://www.fcpeuro.com/cart

My Questions:
1. Am I missing anything that should be replaced WYAT?
2. Anyone have a good video they reference when performing this work?
3. Torque settings for the bolts?

I have changed pads, rotors and sensors on an MB years ago so I know it’s not beyond my paltry skills but I’m always open to guidance/suggestions.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:04 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 242 Posts

Have you considered replacing the piston seals and dust boots? They're cheap - check https://www.ohioperformancesolutions...-rebuild-parts
Depending on their condition when they come out, you might want to replace the pistons too, but those are more expensive.
Have you thought about removing your spring plates and cleaning out any corrosion behind them?
Old 02-09-2020, 06:24 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spartansix
Have you considered replacing the piston seals and dust boots? They're cheap - check https://www.ohioperformancesolutions...-rebuild-parts
Depending on their condition when they come out, you might want to replace the pistons too, but those are more expensive.
Have you thought about removing your spring plates and cleaning out any corrosion behind them?
At 73k miles my hope is that the dust boot and seals are still good as I don’t believe I have the skills or the tools to replace them myself. When I get them apart I will inspect and if they are indeed bad I will have my Porsche tech handle the rebuild.

Thanks for the tip on the spring plate, I will add that to the list!

I should note that I discovered the sticking issue because the right rear wheel had more brake dust than the other three wheels, there were no other symptoms.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:33 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 242 Posts

It's not too bad of a job, removing the spring plates can actually be harder because those little bolts are often really stuck.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:23 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spartansix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLp_sFh7y-A

It's not too bad of a job, removing the spring plates can actually be harder because those little bolts are often really stuck.
Ok that definitely looks easier than I thought, the only difficult part would be making sure that there’s no air in the line after installing.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:40 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 428 Likes on 278 Posts

If you have a sticking caliper- nothing you have on your rebuild list is going to fix it.

So before you do the work - check for plate lift. Take out the retainer spring , Retract the pads with you caliper spreader. If you have vibration dampers, remove those. Then see if the pads can travel back and forth without sticking from the plates being squeezed together.

If they get caught up- either rebuild the calipers and remove the spring plates per daves comments above- or grind the edges of the pads on a bench grinder so they fit.

If the pistons are sticking - which can happen - then you need to pull the pistons, clean them with a razor and some brake fluid, and reinstall with new seals and dust boots.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:10 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Goughary
If you have a sticking caliper- nothing you have on your rebuild list is going to fix it.

So before you do the work - check for plate lift. Take out the retainer spring , Retract the pads with you caliper spreader. If you have vibration dampers, remove those. Then see if the pads can travel back and forth without sticking from the plates being squeezed together.

If they get caught up- either rebuild the calipers and remove the spring plates per daves comments above- or grind the edges of the pads on a bench grinder so they fit.

If the pistons are sticking - which can happen - then you need to pull the pistons, clean them with a razor and some brake fluid, and reinstall with new seals and dust boots.
Very helpful, thanks for the explanation! I’ll give this a shot once I have the calipers off.

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Overhaul Questions