Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50,000 mile service coming up: what do you all recommend I do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 01:41 PM
Dave R.
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Garrett,

I've put about 15k miles (daily driver) on a set of Michelin Pilot Sports, they've been very quiet - I've never noticed any tire noise to speak of. They seem to be wearing well, too.

As to oil, I got my car ('90 C2) with about 27k miles on it and I'm now up to about 55k. Original owner used dino oil, at about 40k I started using synthetics only, alternating between Syntec 5W50 and Mobil 1 15W50, and for the last couple oil changes I fed the car Mobil 1 0W40. I've not had any leakage problems - the heads are still dry for example.

The only thing I've noticed is that the flexible joint of the main oil line between the crankcase and the oil filter housing where it goes past the primary muffler, is typically wet to the touch. Does not seem to drip, and it's been there since I got the car - different oils haven't seemed to make any difference that I can discern. The muffler probably just slow-cooks the line. I'll replace it eventually.

A parting thought on oil. If you switch to synthetic, you might consider a short interval on the first batch of synthetic - synthetics seem to have more aggressive detergent packages than dino, so in theory a lot of junk that would have stayed lurking in the corners with the dino might get flushed into active circulation by the synthetic. I don't think this is a big deal, I'm sure the car will be fine whichever option you select. Just an idea to consider.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:30 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I put Michelin Pilots on my C2 shortly after buying it. I have no noise, ride, or handling complaints. The price was not too bad either.

My car has run Mobile 1 since new, according to all the records. Just turned 51,000 miles, and so far there have been no leaks.

I am not doing a major service at 50 K. The car had major service work done by the PO at 40,000. I figure 60 K will be the next big one. Arjan's thread was great. Post good notes so I can benefit from your experience as well.

Quick Reply: 50,000 mile service coming up: what do you all recommend I do?