Sponsored by:

964 - Good buy or run away??

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 10:43 PM
Pcarlover
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 964 - Good buy or run away??

Okay so let me start off by prefacing this post with a short intro. I, like everyone else in the world (for the past decade) have wanted a 964. I currently have a GT4 and I’m looking at adding another weekend/project car to the stable. Nothing crazy, just a fun car that I can slowly restore.

I haven’t been looking seriously for very long, but always keep my ear to the ground so to speak. I’m no expert (hence why I’m posting here) so feel free to laugh me off the stage!

I’m just hoping to get a gut check on this before I waste anyone’s time driving a couple hours to go see it. It’s had an engine rebuild recently according to the seller. Sounds like it runs well. (See video)

Am I nuts or is this worth checking out?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6840514081245/
Attached Files
File Type: mov
FullSizeRender.mov (4.46 MB, 99 views)
Old 12-03-2019, 11:04 PM
weekndr.porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 69 Posts

Well, that's not a 964.
But the engine sounds good.
I would also have the seller send me a video of the engine under load, revving it up.
I'd also be wary of rust for that age of car, and that region of the country.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:13 PM
Pcarlover
Instructor

Ah, shows what I know (I've been hoping for an 89-94). So this is technically a G series then? I can have him send more videos. Am I better off spending $35k+ for decently mechanically sorted 964 over a G series? I don't really know where to start, but I'd rather go newer for reliability and condition sake (mainly rust). The additional power from the 3.2 and the G50 transmission are nice perks from what I've been hearing.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:24 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 276 Posts

You will most likely be 2.5 - 3 times that price for a sorted 964. Unless you are okay with a vert, targa or automatic. Even then, you will be probably around twice the price of the car listed on FB.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 12-03-2019, 11:31 PM
weekndr.porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 69 Posts

We are biased in this sub-forum.
Yes, 964 over G-Body, haha.
Everyone is looking for a sorted $35k 964.
Since you already have a GT4, start hitting your local PCA events heavy.
Asking around for 964's for sale, or potentially on sale.
You'll only be able to find a good deal if the car is never listed.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:43 PM
Pcarlover
Instructor

Originally Posted by weekndr.porsche
We are biased in this sub-forum.
Yes, 964 over G-Body, haha.
Since you already have a GT4, start hitting your local PCA events heavy.
Asking around for 964's for sale, or potentially on sale.
You'll only be able to find a good deal if the car is never listed.
That is pretty sound advice! I go to PCA events every now and then so it certainly can't hurt to ask around.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:05 AM
JesusFast
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by weekndr.porsche
SIGN ME UP FOR ONE!!!
The following users liked this post:
Ralph3. (12-04-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 11:07 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

You should totally buy that “964”
let us know how it works out
Old 12-04-2019, 11:59 AM
lcrain
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Pcarlover
Ah, shows what I know (I've been hoping for an 89-94). So this is technically a G series then? I can have him send more videos. Am I better off spending $35k+ for decently mechanically sorted 964 over a G series? I don't really know where to start, but I'd rather go newer for reliability and condition sake (mainly rust). The additional power from the 3.2 and the G50 transmission are nice perks from what I've been hearing.
I would recommend doing a ton of research and driving a number of different air cooled cars to help decide what exactly you want. You have to really want a 964 to justify the prices they command, IMO. They are some of, if not the, hottest air-cooled cars out there. A lot of that is driven by Singer using them as a starting point for their insane builds. Research, test drive, define your goals/wants/budget. You can always find a project 911, but you really need to know what you are looking at to avoid pitfalls.

For me, there is way better air-cooled value out there than a 964 from the drivers seat. An ok condition "driver" 964 c2 5spd with a clean title that doesn't need $15k immediately is going to cost you probably $60k. If you can find something before it hits the market, maybe you can buy it for less. If you like the c4 or are ok with a tiptronic, then maybe a bit less. You can buy a nice 3.2 g50 for $40-45k, or a nice SC driver for sub $30k. Or if you want something more modern, a driver 993 for $40-45k. If I wanted a project, I'd probably buy an SC or a 915 3.2 in the $25-35k range. Prices on air-cooled cars seemed to have softened over the past few months, so not a bad time to be looking.
The following 3 users liked this post by lcrain:
911Jetta (12-04-2019), Hdizzle (01-02-2020), Sirenty (12-04-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 01:05 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by lcrain
I would recommend doing a ton of research and driving a number of different air cooled cars to help decide what exactly you want. You have to really want a 964 to justify the prices they command, IMO. They are some of, if not the, hottest air-cooled cars out there. A lot of that is driven by Singer using them as a starting point for their insane builds. Research, test drive, define your goals/wants/budget. You can always find a project 911, but you really need to know what you are looking at to avoid pitfalls.

For me, there is way better air-cooled value out there than a 964 from the drivers seat. An ok condition "driver" 964 c2 5spd with a clean title that doesn't need $15k immediately is going to cost you probably $60k. If you can find something before it hits the market, maybe you can buy it for less. If you like the c4 or are ok with a tiptronic, then maybe a bit less. You can buy a nice 3.2 g50 for $40-45k, or a nice SC driver for sub $30k. Or if you want something more modern, a driver 993 for $40-45k. If I wanted a project, I'd probably buy an SC or a 915 3.2 in the $25-35k range. Prices on air-cooled cars seemed to have softened over the past few months, so not a bad time to be looking.
You NAILED all of my thoughts. Most people don't accidentally buy a 964 because they want an "air-cooled" Porsche. You have to want to pay that premium.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 12-04-2019, 07:50 PM
GoatFarmer
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Wolfe
You NAILED all of my thoughts. Most people don't accidentally buy a 964 because they want an "air-cooled" Porsche. You have to want to pay that premium.

Mr. Wolfe
I accidentally bought one. My wife liked the shape. It was originally to be her car.
The following users liked this post:
9SIX4-C4 (12-06-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 07:57 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Wasn't the 964 the value priced way to get a great air cooled car until just recently? Like 1 or 2 yrs ago? Then suddenly everyone woke up.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:33 PM
Pcarlover
Instructor

Originally Posted by lcrain

This is the exact high level breakdown I was hoping for, thank you! I originally set out to buy an air cooled, but by the time I was serious about pulling the trigger I couldn’t stomach the premium they were commanding over what the market was just a few years prior. Now I’m kicking myself for not doing it then because it’s only gotten worse. Since then I’ve passed up every modern 911 for a 987CS, 981CS, and now a GT4. But I always come back the the air cooled itch that I haven’t scratched..

Now the question is do I take a gamble on a 20k 2.7 g-series in need of some cosmetic TLC and nurse it back to health (not sure I want to own that rabbit hole), or do I spend 40k on a sorted 3.2 (circa ‘86) g-series? Or go “full ham” and see if there’s anyone in the 50k ballpark with a 7/10 964 (non-tiptronic)?

I feel like this is a decision that could spiral into years of research, headaches, and more indecision..
Old 12-05-2019, 01:22 AM
RyanH.
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 163 Posts

If it helps your decision, in my opinion in the current market a 964 is going to cost between $70k to $80k at the end of the day over the course of a few years of ownership. You're either going to pay for it up front with a hopefully truly sorted out one or buy cheap and fix as things come up.

I started with a 147k miles C4 for $37k six months ago. Many of the things I've replaced are not necessarily due to the mileage but age (rubber breaks down over time). My rough breakdown of costs so far can be categorized as follows:
  • $9k upgrades (new wheels, tires, recaro seats and many interior mods)
  • $11k of deferred maintenance. Biggest item was suspension overhaul which was done by a shop and cost around $5k but also includes age related items like brake lines, fuel lines (in progress) , power steering lines (in progress), engine seals (in progress), fluids, spark plug system, belts etc...
  • $1200 of repairs (things that broke)
Then factor in rebuild costs down the road and an eventual respray to deal with cowl rust. What you want to find is an example that has taken care of many of the things I have and is now selling it for a loss.
​​
Edited to add: almost all of the work except the suspension and clutch slave cylinder has been done by myself. I would factor in probably 100 hours of my time so far. A lot of it is learning and doing things slowly though.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:25 AM
lcrain
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Pcarlover
This is the exact high level breakdown I was hoping for, thank you! I originally set out to buy an air cooled, but by the time I was serious about pulling the trigger I couldn’t stomach the premium they were commanding over what the market was just a few years prior. Now I’m kicking myself for not doing it then because it’s only gotten worse. Since then I’ve passed up every modern 911 for a 987CS, 981CS, and now a GT4. But I always come back the the air cooled itch that I haven’t scratched..

Now the question is do I take a gamble on a 20k 2.7 g-series in need of some cosmetic TLC and nurse it back to health (not sure I want to own that rabbit hole), or do I spend 40k on a sorted 3.2 (circa ‘86) g-series? Or go “full ham” and see if there’s anyone in the 50k ballpark with a 7/10 964 (non-tiptronic)?

I feel like this is a decision that could spiral into years of research, headaches, and more indecision..
What are your goals with an air cooled 911? You have the GT4, so I assume something to somewhat compliment that. Concours? Track days? Canyons? Just a fun car to fart around town from time to time? Each goal will have it's own unique prerequisites for me.

If it were me I would at least want something that the body had not been buggered with too much and had minimal or preferably no rust. Original paint would be important to me personally or at least a solid repaint in the original color. I just have no desire to spend a ton of time and money on the body just to get it presentable. Repaints can also hide body damage or weird modifications from a prior life. Remember, all these cars were cheap as hell at one point. As long as I know what I am getting mechanically, it can have some issues that need sorting. All of these cars will need something. IMO, the best value proposition right now is the 3.0 SC. A good driver that SC can be had below $30k. 3.2s are great, but I'm not sure they are worth the premium for me. I'd rather have a nice 3.0 SC and eventually build a short stroke 3.2 out of the 3.0.

If you can find a 5spd 964 for $50k, be prepared to act quickly. It won't last long at that price unless it has some stories.

Quick Reply: 964 - Good buy or run away??