Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repaint?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2019 | 12:13 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Default Repaint?

Under what conditions would you repaint and repaint to a new color?

my car has track rash (bumper hood, both front wings/fenders), bubbling at the base of the windshield (cowl), and a few spots elsewhere (roof and rear bumper) need attention. Given that it’s hard to do a blend line on these cars (and because I’m a tad neurotic) I expect it to trickle up to a full glass out repaint

a proper recolor requires a lot more work and being diamond blue it’s already a pretty cool tone

so where does one literally and figuratively draw the line to repaint and or recolor?

Old 12-01-2019 | 01:46 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

If the paint is uniformly worn and beyond repair and the rest of the car is in overall great condition and or has been restored then a glass out respray makes sense. If the rest of the car is trashed but you intend to restore it over time then again a glass out respray is warranted although I would first focus on getting the engine and mechanicals done before doing the respray. Since your car has bubbles in several areas I would agree that your approach to a full respray is correct, there could be lots of hidden rust that you want to stop sooner than later.

As far as color change, for me that would only happen if I intended to completely customize the car to my liking. But it would be a shame to do that to Diamond Blue, it’s such a great color on 964’s.
Old 12-01-2019 | 02:37 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Ditto what Marine Blue said. My car has the small bubbles under the windshield but not nearly as worn as your described paint. My goal is to work on the mechanicals first and address cosmetics last as well. In fact, I sort of like the cosmetic patina of a 30 year old car.

also, unless a top notch shop is doing the respray, and even so, I would ask to see examples of their work before you commit. My general understanding is to have realistic expectations on any respray.
Old 12-02-2019 | 03:04 PM
GT34ME
Advanced

If you have a bunch of panels that need attention, say greater than 80% of car, I would say a color change is warranted.

Quick Reply: Repaint?