Sponsored by:

Oil line madness: the adventure begins

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 09:19 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Oil filter move

Great write up, what an experience. I did same several years back but replaced flex lines with stainless AN 12 hose and AN fittings. Easier for me to make, especially since metric to AN adapters were available.
i was wondering and is high on my “considering to undertake” about moving the oil filter out of the engine Bay Area into the wheel well. I get so tired of the mess when I change filters.
Has any one done this?
Would be interested in what you did.
Know this has been done by others, maybe more so on race community.
i am more interested in oil line route from engine to filter and filter mount locations used . Thanks
Old 12-08-2019, 04:42 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 396 Likes on 262 Posts

Thanks pete- i figured it was some sort of necessary part- but interesting that it's brazed in and mine literally fell out and wasn't connected to anything...i wonder how long it was disconnected for...
Old 05-19-2020, 12:11 PM
willmip
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Well I finally got my line crimped yesterday, under cover of a trip to the supermarket. Certainly a tight squeeze getting it fitted, but no leaks after a test run today. However, I noticed now one of the other breather pipes has a crack......

Old 05-19-2020, 01:07 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by willmip
Well I finally got my line crimped yesterday, under cover of a trip to the supermarket. Certainly a tight squeeze getting it fitted, but no leaks after a test run today. However, I noticed now one of the other breather pipes has a crack......

looking good! About to have Elephant Racing do mine and already have new breather hoses on order. You fix one only to have another open up. True madness!
Old 05-19-2020, 10:07 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Looks good...what's up next?
Old 05-20-2020, 03:23 AM
willmip
Racer

Originally Posted by Goughary
Looks good...what's up next?
Find a job
Old 06-16-2020, 11:32 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Picking up where we left off...I've had quite a few other projects since this "emergency" repair last fall...

If we remember way back when- this 964 was my only car and had been for ten years. The oil line started leaking pretty badly and i needed to use the car- so though i had wanted to do these lines for a long time, and then they started weeping - i still wanted to do them, and then the weep became a puddle, and i really wanted to get it done, and then the puddle became a pool- and then the car had to come off the road and my oil line madness became- get it done as soon as possible. Which meant- buy the too soft oem cohline oil line, hope it doesn't kink, and be back on the road within a week.

Name:  photo207.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  1.42 MB

So i bought a 996 C4...and problem solved. Now i can get work done on my car. So i did the valves on the 964 and then also finished intake madness phase one. And then....the project cars arrived...

So i have had many cars in the garage and EVERY ONE needs at the very least, this one line that runs from the filter to the thermostat- and I'm sure if we looked at the front lines- they would be in need of attention too- particularly if they were disturbed. The latest car in is weeping exactly where mine was - and you know - any of you that have taken this line out after 30 yrs will know - it's shocking how brittle it becomes. It breaks like it was made out of hard powder when you bend it.

I did, by the way, do the wintergreen trick from intake madness on a section of the line- and it softened up enough to become pliable - which was absolutely shocking - it took soaking in the wintergreen for 3 weeks fwiw.

Anyway. As with many of us - and the many threads on just this very subject- how many times have we tried to find a "local hydraulic shop" to make our hoses? How many times did we have to explain how and why it needs to be done. How many awkward conversations happened with these guys that have no clue what we are talking about and then- how many times are we going to then install that line "assuming" it's right - but not knowing - and not fully trusting....?

I don't know about you- but i hate that. And it drives me to wanting "oem" - even if in this case, oem is garbage and really shouldn't be used. Look at the kink in the line in the post above where i did everything possible to fit that correctly- and it still just kinked.

Further - I've looked locally for "a hydraulic shop" and guess what? They don't really want to do it. If i showed up - maybe they would reluctantly do it and charge me. But they kinda don't want to bother. And you now what? Neither do I - i have no time to work with people that "kinda don't wanna"...

But then try to find someone with the right tool to crimp oem cohline oil lines...there are a few in the north east- i found all of them. Or maybe most....but guess what? They are all a pain in the culo - either to work with, to get to and from that shop, or the price is silly...or they are locked down due to covid19.

So i give up. I just want to be sure that when i install an oil line, or when i do my own, they are high quality and done right. So I bought the most ridiculously expensive tool I've ever purchased....

Name:  photo155.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  68.3 KB

And now i make oil lines. Whodathunk?
Old 06-16-2020, 11:44 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Awesome!
Old 06-17-2020, 12:01 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

Now the $million question everyone is thinking: any interest in recouping some of your investment by making oil lines as a service for those of us desperate to have few lines done?
Old 06-17-2020, 12:11 AM
Goughary
Race Car

If course...but- if you are on the west coast, you know elephant will make the lines as well...so if you are close to them...not a bad idea.

But yes- i have no interest in hoarding a tool that will be used for maybe four lines on my car. I bought it so i can save everyone out here from the hell...but happy to accommodate. I ordered it today. So once i get it and make the lines for the car on stands out there now...and then once those lines don't leak...I'll offer the service...just give me a moment to get it together...

I'm excited though. I really kind of enjoy being able to do things right or better. That kinked line in my car has driven me nuts now for half a year....even though it functions just fine. It's wrong and i find myself looking at my oil pressure gauge too often...When i shouldn't need to worry.
The following users liked this post:
Rocket Rob (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 01:17 AM
willmip
Racer

About time! Don't forget to bring it with you on your next UK holiday.....

Old 06-17-2020, 08:14 AM
Goughary
Race Car

I bought it from the uk- it may still be there now!
Old 06-17-2020, 10:21 AM
willmip
Racer

It's in my garage......

Was it a UK purchase?
Old 06-17-2020, 10:25 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

I haver been struggling with what to do about my lines. Braze on AN fittings or bite the bullet and buy a freakin crimper..... I guess I'm on par with the madness.

Pete
Old 06-17-2020, 07:52 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Originally Posted by willmip
It's in my garage......

Was it a UK purchase?
Yes. It was very significantly less expensive on your side of the Atlantic. They are 1100 lbs with VAT....and when you take away vat and ship, it still ends up a few hundred fewer dollars than buying here in the states. I had tried to appeal directly to cohline to see if they would sell me one directly- but no dice. It's a stupid price for a simple crimper...so i wish they would have been more amenable.

Quick Reply: Oil line madness: the adventure begins