Sponsored by:

964 wiper blade upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 08:17 AM
Jibble
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 wiper blade upgrade?

Though I rarely drive my 964 out in the rain, the archaic Bosch wiper style bothers me. I purchased Trico single beam wipers (13", with "confirmed fitment"), but they do not appear to fit the curvature of the driver's side well at all (worse than the OEM Bosch units, surprisingly--more liftoff at the sides and only the middle of the wiper contacts the windshield). I have not been able to find any other manufacturer that even claims to fit. JIm

I am wondering, has anybody been able to upgrade their wipers? Is the only option to perform a 993 wiper upgrade? I am guessing that is a pricey proposition, so cheaper suggestions would be preferred.

Thanks!
Jim
Old 11-06-2019, 08:27 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

In 92 They went from the single spring version of the wiper arm to a double spring version. Not saying it is a huge improvement but did help. If you have the two spring version I guess you are SOL if not might be worth a try. I only drive in the rain when I get caught and all my cars seem OK with the double spring and fresh blades.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:35 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Jibble
Though I rarely drive my 964 out in the rain, the archaic Bosch wiper style bothers me. I purchased Trico single beam wipers (13", with "confirmed fitment"), but they do not appear to fit the curvature of the driver's side well at all (worse than the OEM Bosch units, surprisingly--more liftoff at the sides and only the middle of the wiper contacts the windshield). I have not been able to find any other manufacturer that even claims to fit. JIm

I am wondering, has anybody been able to upgrade their wipers? Is the only option to perform a 993 wiper upgrade? I am guessing that is a pricey proposition, so cheaper suggestions would be preferred.

Thanks!
Jim
In my experience, the begin to conform better with a bit of use.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:15 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I've had good luck with Silblade wiper blades. They are made with silicone instead of rubber. I've gotten 10+ years out of each set. Both of my cars have the single spring arms. Upgrading the arms is not a high priority for my use.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:21 PM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hold on. Some of you actually drive your cars in the rain?
Old 11-06-2019, 05:35 PM
Vancleef
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kreeshp
Rain, mud or snow..this C4 handles it all.
The following users liked this post:
Heritages (08-29-2023)
Old 11-06-2019, 06:02 PM
jonathant
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by kreeshp
All the time, and mine is a C2 Targa!

To be sure, I have a little internal debate every time, but it's just too much fun not to drive it. Since I finished monkeying with the top adjustments she doesn't even leak. That said; I do have all-seasons, HID headlights, and the bottom trays all on... plus she lives in the garage at home and at work.

I draw the line at mud and snow though - we use too much salt around here so I use the landcruiser for that business.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:05 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
I've had good luck with Silblade wiper blades. They are made with silicone instead of rubber. I've gotten 10+ years out of each set. Both of my cars have the single spring arms. Upgrading the arms is not a high priority for my use.

I use Silblade on my DD's lifetime warranty and they leave a rain ex type coating allowing water to beed off easily. The down side is the arms don't sit as flush. I DD a 911 for many years and countless miles. Just can't do it anymore. Happily take the 4 doors out for most crappy drives.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:24 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

One thing that really helps is a properly cleaned and smooth glass surface. First wash, then use Groit's Glass Cleaning Clay and then put on Groit's Glass Sealant.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:54 AM
Jibble
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the responses!

yes, glass has been polished and cleaned well, no issue there.

The wipers are rarely used—-I do mainly try to avoid rain but occasionally you have to give it a swipe even with the RainX in the occasional drizzle you get caught in!

I will consider the Silblade or maybe just try putting on my Trico to see if they conform as suggested.

Double spring arm conversion—-might not be worth the cost for my rare usage, and I think I am mainly bothered by the nonconforming wiper blade at the outside edge.

thanks!

Quick Reply: 964 wiper blade upgrade?