Sponsored by:

The SOUND of this Singer!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 12:11 PM
Jarod964
Banned

Received 155 Likes on 80 Posts
Default The SOUND of this Singer!!!

For those of us lucky enough to have heard or driven a Singer in person, I think most can agree it embodies pretty much the quintessential "air cooled 911" noise. Lot's of factors obviously make up the sound of that engine/exhaust...but maybe we can discuss...what are the key steps to giving a stock 964 C2 engine more of this sound. 997 GT3 exhaust seems like a popular answer...good place to start?

Video that sparked this thought:
The following users liked this post:
Rocket Rob (11-01-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 12:19 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 388 Likes on 276 Posts

Glorious simply Glorious !! ..Of all the annoying sounds one hears in a day I find that sound so soothing
Old 10-23-2019, 01:17 PM
gregmitch
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Watching that video made me sweat. That thing looks looked a handful on that track, bravo to him for pushing the car. Would've loved to hear some flybys.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:47 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

High RPM helps all 964 engines. A 964 with cat bypass, either primary or secondary exhaust bypass, and a drilled airbox sounds really good screaming pass at 6,000+ RPM.

At idle, no 964 sounds as good as some of the early cars I drive with. They sound like mini 997 GT3 Cup cars. Super deep and gruff down low at idle and just screen as they rev.
993s with Fister II or III sound mega also. (Love Fister II with no cats. Deep, with lots of crackle).
Old 10-23-2019, 07:08 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

No discussion of 964 sound is complete without this video:

The following 3 users liked this post by BLACK3.2:
Dingo (10-27-2019), Fracture (10-24-2019), Ralph3. (10-31-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 07:34 AM
Barty964rst
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, Yes and more YES! What a car and sound! That made my ***** go a bit funny.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:43 AM
Jarod964
Banned

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
High RPM helps all 964 engines. A 964 with cat bypass, either primary or secondary exhaust bypass, and a drilled airbox sounds really good screaming pass at 6,000+ RPM.

At idle, no 964 sounds as good as some of the early cars I drive with. They sound like mini 997 GT3 Cup cars. Super deep and gruff down low at idle and just screen as they rev.
993s with Fister II or III sound mega also. (Love Fister II with no cats. Deep, with lots of crackle).
Do you find cat bypass droney?
Old 10-24-2019, 09:40 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Not at all, and the cat bypass is the key to a really good sound from a 964. Have tried both a primary or a secondary bypass, and the cat bypass really accentuates which ever route you go.

Immediately the car's voice sounds deeper, and more mechanical (hear the valves). Which already makes the car sound much better.
It's just a notch louder, but only about 10% louder at idle. Since it's more mechanical, the sound is much more impressive. The noise level builds up nicely in the background at less the 4,000, using normal driving part throttle. But WOT, at +4K things really begin to aggressive (but perfect for a 30 year old sports car), and it starts screaming at 5,500.

Yes the Singer sounds super awesome up top, but the money to get to that point is silly when you can get pretty close for less than $1,000 and don't have to mod anything.

I went with the larger chamber cat bypass design, like Fabspeed (no aff.).

Old 10-24-2019, 10:13 AM
Jarod964
Banned

Not at all, and the cat bypass is the key to a really good sound from a 964. Have tried both a primary or a secondary bypass, and the cat bypass really accentuates which ever route you go.

Immediately the car's voice sounds deeper, and more mechanical (hear the valves). Which already makes the car sound much better.
It's just a notch louder, but only about 10% louder at idle. Since it's more mechanical, the sound is much more impressive. The noise level builds up nicely in the background at less the 4,000, using normal driving part throttle. But WOT, at +4K things really begin to aggressive (but perfect for a 30 year old sports car), and it starts screaming at 5,500.

Yes the Singer sounds super awesome up top, but the money to get to that point is silly when you can get pretty close for less than $1,000 and don't have to mod anything.

I went with the larger chamber cat bypass design, like Fabspeed (no aff.).

Currently I have an 89 964 C4 with Cup pipe and drilled airbox. I like the way it sounds but its a bit quiet and refined for my taste. I have a G pipe sitting in the garage...and a '90 C2 (totally stock) on the way. What are your thoughts on G pipe vs Cup pipe? Sounds like cat bypass & drilled airbox will go hand in hand with whatever I choose.

At this point thinking I should try G pipe + cat bypass + airbox.

I threw the G pipe on my C4 (with cup pipe still in place), and the 2 together made my head explode. Lasted 10 mins, lol.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:53 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,950 Likes on 1,180 Posts

So many factors will change the exhaust note I suspect that is a 4.0L engine although that ford seemed to walk away from it and i expected more.

Don't go crazy the stock headers are fine do a cat delete or 100 cell cat, modify your air box and or cup style and a simple muffler like a magnaflow and you will have a very similar sound.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:13 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jarod964
Currently I have an 89 964 C4 with Cup pipe and drilled airbox. I like the way it sounds but its a bit quiet and refined for my taste. I have a G pipe sitting in the garage...and a '90 C2 (totally stock) on the way. What are your thoughts on G pipe vs Cup pipe? Sounds like cat bypass & drilled airbox will go hand in hand with whatever I choose.

At this point thinking I should try G pipe + cat bypass + airbox.

I threw the G pipe on my C4 (with cup pipe still in place), and the 2 together made my head explode. Lasted 10 mins, lol.
Yeah, never both bypassed at the same time. But it's fun to try it once!

For years I was a primary bypass lover. Often touted that it was the more Porsche "sound" of the too options. I still think that's true, it's a bit more of a pure aircooled sound. Sounds especially great from 4K up, but not awesome idling or down low.

I've heard a couple 964s running g-pipes, and they sound pretty deep and have a totally different tone than a primary bypass. Sounds good for sure, but it's a different aircooled sound. Almost too much at times.

I running a Swan's Neck secondary bypass, like a G-pipe, only longer. When I purchased this car and found out that it had this exhaust mounted I was prepared to switch it a primary exhaust instead, thinking it would sound the same at a G-pipe car. Then it rolled off the trailer and I loved the sound. Now it's perfect with a cat bypass.

So I've been a little confused why I like the sound of my exhaust so much? I'd rarely seen/heard one before I bought this car.
Yes, it's a bit like the G-pipe sound, but the extra length of the Swan's neck definitely does something different to the sound. It's deep like the G-pipe sound, but doesn't sound like a Harley. There's more there to the sound. A smooth, gruff, throbbing, mechanical sound, that changes tones throughout the rev range.

Borrowed image:
Old 10-24-2019, 12:20 PM
Jarod964
Banned

Yeah, never both bypassed at the same time. But it's fun to try it once!

For years I was a primary bypass lover. Often touted that it was the more Porsche "sound" of the too options. I still think that's true, it's a bit more of a pure aircooled sound. Sounds especially great from 4K up, but not awesome idling or down low.

I've heard a couple 964s running g-pipes, and they sound pretty deep and have a totally different tone than a primary bypass. Sounds good for sure, but it's a different aircooled sound. Almost too much at times.

I running a Swan's Neck secondary bypass, like a G-pipe, only longer. When I purchased this car and found out that it had this exhaust mounted I was prepared to switch it a primary exhaust instead, thinking it would sound the same at a G-pipe car. Then it rolled off the trailer and I loved the sound. Now it's perfect with a cat bypass.

So I've been a little confused why I like the sound of my exhaust so much? I'd rarely seen/heard one before I bought this car.
Yes, it's a bit like the G-pipe sound, but the extra length of the Swan's neck definitely does something different to the sound. It's deep like the G-pipe sound, but doesn't sound like a Harley. There's more there to the sound. A smooth, gruff, throbbing, mechanical sound, that changes tones throughout the rev range.

Borrowed image:
Good to know, thanks! Are you running the fabspeed cat bypass you pictured? Did you do a homemade drilled airbox, or buy a drilled unit?
Old 10-24-2019, 12:26 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Yes. Perfect fit each time installed. (have heard of alignment issues with other bypasses)
I'm cheap, so drilled my airbox. That alone is a great mod (at WOT and +4K). A must do mod.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:57 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

My car is a 3.8 with RS cam. I have a fabspeed cat bypass, short-necked G-pipe and drilled airbox. It definitely sounds kind of American muscle-car down low. And quite loud. High RPMs is angry angry music.

On my to-do list is to replace the G-pipe with a secondary and replace the primary with a bypass. Very far down my list, actually, so far down I may never get to it. The sound is growing on me.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:46 PM
gregmitch
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a secondary bypass G pipe and drilled air box as well. Love the sound, especially above 4k, it really sings. Will be adding the Fabspeed cat bypass and SW chip at some point, most likely in the spring.

Quick Reply: The SOUND of this Singer!!!