Sparco frustration

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 05:36 AM
NBL
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Sparco frustration

1991 964 c2
So my seats are out for reupholstering and I thought I would buy a race seat so I could drive around while the cruiser seats were away as I was going to get one anyway for track days one day!. Bought a Sparco Evo 2 from a local supplier, which came with alloy seat rail mounts, bought a sparco "universal" base plate from eBay, and thought all would be well.........and.....it wasn't.
The universal base plate, stated to be specifically for the 964, has an upright tang on it that doesn't allow the seat to fit where it works in the car. So I cut it off.
The mounting holes in the seat rails that came with the seat don't line up with the "universal" sparco base plate, so I had to drill it.
So having dealt with that, I put the seat as far back as the base plate and the seat rails will allow.....and.....it would be fine if I was 5 ft 10 but I'm 6 foot 6.....awesome.
The only fix I can see is to cut the base plate in half and weld a section into it so it hangs over the back of the car seat mounts, and then drill mounting holes for the seat rails, so I can get the seat back further.
Before I really rip into this thing I thought someone out there might know if there is a sparco product that would solve my issues.
I haven't gone for sliding rails as they seem unnecessary once the seat is set right for me.
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:21 AM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 184 Posts

I’m 6’3 and have Evo 2s in my car. My seats are mounted to Recaro sliders and then mounted to the floor. No base plate. If you need more leg room then you need sliders. My main issue now is head room. I can fit driving on the street, but when I wear a helmet, I have to remove the seat cushion and my helmet still hits the roof. This is due to the Evos being so fat they hit the rails instead of dropping below them. Recaro SPGs did drop between them, and the Cobro Nogaro with its recess looks interesting too.

I tried the new Sparco QRT performance seats and I couldn’t even get them in the car due to the high mount they require. But I also tried just mounting to a base plate with no sliders and there’s no way my legs would fit and the wheel (mod 07) would’ve been in my chest.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:20 AM
911 jared
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 114 Posts

Are these the base plates you bought?

Old 10-22-2019, 12:38 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

At 6'6", I would suggest SPG XL's mounted directly to the floor with Brey Krause Recaro floor mounts for 964/993. The next step is to have a fabricator lower the seat mounts on the floor to the car. I am going to do all 3 in my 993 track car, as my co-driver is also 6'6". The only other options are a thinner seat such as a Tillett or an aluminum race seat, or a sunroof delete.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:58 PM
NBL
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't have a problem with fit. The sparco fits me well and there is no need to fix the seat to the floor, plenty of head room.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:12 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Call Dan at 425 Motorsports in WA. I believe he makes the mounting kits that Sparco uses to fit Sparco seats to 964s. He would be a good person to talk your problem through with. I don't know him, but was recently told this by a friend of his. Some information may have been lost along the way! Good luck.

425 Motorsports, Kirkland, WA

Dan 206-819-2500

Quick Reply: Sparco frustration