Sponsored by:

Door panel removal help

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 11:31 AM
Jaguar74
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door panel removal help

I have to remove the driver's side door panel on my 1991 to fix the electric door lock's. I was wondering if anyone could give me some hints to removing the door panel so I don't do any damage. Much appreciated
Old 10-17-2019, 02:18 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

The search will give you some good threads with pics. So give that a try. Google sometimes searches better than the built in forum search.

Now you will need a screw driver for most of this and I'm going off memory here.
  • Undo the top trim piece from the door, one screw om a olastic cover plate at the front and underneath you will find two more screws. Then move to the back to remove the plug and one more screw underneath.
  • Lift the piece up and away from the door carefully and undo the electrical plug.
  • Now undo the two top allen screws from the door handle top.
  • Open the pocket lid and remove one screw that goes theough the door pocket into the door handle.
  • Undo the cable on the back of the door opener lever bu just lifting it up and out of the hole.
  • Undo two more screws holding the door handle on.
  • Remove the door handle by pulling up, forward and away from the door.
  • Undo the screws holding the door pocket on, all around the bottom and up the sides. There are a good few of them... 6 or 7 perhaps.
  • Look at the door lid and how it is attached. I managed to carefully maneuver it out of the hinge. The hinge stays attached to the door.
  • Now you have the main door card and the speakers. Most have aftermarket speakers, but my OEM stuff has screwed on tweeter covers and clipped on main speakers. I believe my tweeters stay on the door card and my mains are bolted to the door frame itself. So I don't actually need to remove anything other tha the main grilles.
  • The panel just pops off the door now. If you have trim tools, just go around the side and pop the panel off. The clips are reusable... love the quality of those parts. In modern cars they would be single use items... fragile and brittle.

Good luck... it is not difficult and would take me about 10 mins, not rushing.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:38 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Navaros911
The search will give you some good threads with pics. So give that a try. Google sometimes searches better than the built in forum search.
So true!

This is the one I've used in the past: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...val-guide.html
The following users liked this post:
feirfiez (10-18-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 05:33 PM
Jaguar74
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door panel

Originally Posted by Navaros911

Now you will need a screw driver for most of this and I'm going off memory here.
  • Undo the top trim piece from the door, one screw om a olastic cover plate at the front and underneath you will find two more screws. Then move to the back to remove the plug and one more screw underneath.
  • Lift the piece up and away from the door carefully and undo the electrical plug.

Could you be more specific.....just kidding, thanks so much for thise step by step directions. The only thing that would be better is if you would come to New Jersey and do it for me. But you don't have to if it's not that convenient.
  • Now undo the two top allen screws from the door handle top.
  • Open the pocket lid and remove one screw that goes theough the door pocket into the door handle.
  • Undo the cable on the back of the door opener lever bu just lifting it up and out of the hole.
  • Undo two more screws holding the door handle on.
  • Remove the door handle by pulling up, forward and away from the door.
  • Undo the screws holding the door pocket on, all around the bottom and up the sides. There are a good few of them... 6 or 7 perhaps.
  • Look at the door lid and how it is attached. I managed to carefully maneuver it out of the hinge. The hinge stays attached to the door.
  • Now you have the main door card and the speakers. Most have aftermarket speakers, but my OEM stuff has screwed on tweeter covers and clipped on main speakers. I believe my tweeters stay on the door card and my mains are bolted to the door frame itself. So I don't actually need to remove anything other tha the main grilles.
  • The panel just pops off the door now. If you have trim tools, just go around the side and pop the panel off. The clips are reusable... love the quality of those parts. In modern cars they would be single use items... fragile and brittle.

Good luck... it is not difficult and would take me about 10 mins, not rushing.
Could you be more specific. ... Just kidding. Thanks so much for those step-by-step instructions the only thing that would be better would be if you came to New Jersey and did it for me. But if that is not that convenient I understand.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:30 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaguar74
Could you be more specific. ... Just kidding. Thanks so much for those step-by-step instructions the only thing that would be better would be if you came to New Jersey and did it for me. But if that is not that convenient I understand.
Let me be more specific

I forgot to mention the window switches, no need to remove from the door card, but there is a plug that needs to be unplugged.

Secondly, I forgot about the locking ****. Pop the cap in the center (I use a very thin blade), undo the screw underneath and remove slide the **** itself off the axle, away from the door. Then you have what looks like a big dish that is screwed to the door, sandwiching the door card. I use some pliers in the two notches that are cut out and twist it off. Make sure you don't scratch this part if you use pliers.

Remembered this because of the pic 911Jetta posted.

If I was near I would gladly come and help... but 20 hrs of travel, door to door, one way, for 10 mins of work doesn't seem that efficient.

Quick Reply: Door panel removal help