Sponsored by:

Replacing Evaporator

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 12:58 PM
David K.
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rich W
The evaporator only weighs a few pounds. IMHO, it's not worth the extraordinary effort just to remove it.
It all adds up. That how I got down to 2690 lbs with a 1/2 tank of gas. It would be great if Wachuko could put it on a scale.

Thanks
David
Old 11-15-2004, 01:52 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Jaime,
Where did you get the recharge in town. i need to have mine done and a couple shops I talked to in Altamonte wernt sure how much to put in since mine was converted to 134 a couple years ago. Sure dont want it messed up. I must have a slow leak. Made it thru 2 summers before it went away.
Thanks
Jim
Old 11-15-2004, 03:04 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Initially I took it to Porsche of Orlando... but they were extremely busy that day and the only available time was on Nov 22...

And a few shops along the way, while on my way back from the dealer, did not even wanted to touch the car... ended up taking it to Ice Cold Auto Air of Seminole - 1500 E. SR 436 (407) 834-1065. Greg did the work.

It was about 30 oz worth of R134a... but I would like to see feedback from others here since Greg was also not sure on the total amount... He did it based on how the system was performing and the temperature out the vents....

Anyone that can confirm the amount would be great!
Old 11-15-2004, 03:08 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David K.
It all adds up. That how I got down to 2690 lbs with a 1/2 tank of gas. It would be great if Wachuko could put it on a scale.

Thanks
David
Sorry guys... too late... I got rid of it a few days after removing the unit...

It has to be at least 2 1/2 pounds.... but that is just a guess
Old 11-15-2004, 03:16 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jaime, Thats right up 436 from my house !
I will go by and see him this spring and get them to do the refill. Sounds like you got the same runaround I did when I inquired about doing the work. "We dont usually work on Porsches"
Thanks again
Jim
Old 11-16-2004, 02:34 PM
David K.
Pro

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Sorry guys... too late... I got rid of it a few days after removing the unit...

It has to be at least 2 1/2 pounds.... but that is just a guess
Thanks
Old 01-17-2006, 01:58 PM
LeRoux Strydom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there

I am re-opening this old thread, because I have started removing the evaporator on my car since it sprang a leak, using the procedures described here. My beloved 964 recently showed the classic tell-tale signs of an oil puddle underneath car where the airbox drain pipes exit combined with losing its a/c cooling function.

Now that I have removed the fuel overflow tank and firewall, the expansion valve is clearly visible, as is the oily mess around it!! This makes me think that there is a distinct possibility that the evaporator may not be leaking itself, but rather the expansion valve or its O-rings. I have recently (about 2 months ago) converted the a/c system from R12 to R134a. Is it possible that the O-rings in the expansion valve have deteriorated and started leaking? The shop that did the conversion did not change anything other than the receiver/drier, the compressor oil and the gas.

I am calling on the collective wisdom here to please help me out here, as I would desparately want to avoid removing and replacing the evaporator if the a/c leak can be cured by just replacing the expansion valve and its O-rings. I have in fact already received all the replacement parts, including evaporator and expansion valve, but will gladly pack the new evap back into its box and put it on the shelf!!

What are the chances that the evaporator itself is really leaking, given the coincidence of the R134a conversion and the obvious leak around the expansion valve?

Le Roux
Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2006, 02:15 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you need any parts from behind the gas tank, let me know. My car just went in for work and all that stuff will be removed.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:56 AM
Eric33
Intermediate

Hello most of the pics on page 3 have disappeared : I have the red croos.
Have you got the same thing ?
Old 03-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Eric33
Hello most of the pics on page 3 have disappeared : I have the red croos.
Have you got the same thing ?
It was due to some problems Rennlist had a few years back.... I will need to upload the photos again. I will try to do so when I get home tonight.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:39 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Well... seems I am missing two days of photos in my computer... sorry folks. I uploaded a few photos but still missing a few in page 3 and 4...
Old 04-02-2010, 04:58 PM
dleefsu
Advanced

I know this post is all pretty ancient history for you all but thanks for the great info - I'm diving into this project once I get the parts in but now I feel much more confident!
Old 04-05-2010, 12:11 AM
Luv Jet Flyer
2nd Gear

Jaime,
Thanks for the posts. They really helped me out as the Porsche Manual was somewhat uninformative. The repair took me about 17 hours but I was unfamiliar with the 964 and did several side jobs( painting, struts ect ) btw anyone know how to replace the lid struts wo removing the ac box? Next time, and I hope not to do it again, I think I could do it in about half the time.

I took it to Kotz Garage on SR 436 Orlando, to get it charged. I was surprised it held a vacuum since it was a major pain reattaching the ac lines to the expansion valve. I giggled all the way home at the cold air coming from my vents. It has not worked since I bought the car early March. I highly recommend Kotz and judging from the numbers of Pcars on the racks and in the lot, they have a following.
Thanks again,
Paul
Old 04-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Paul,

Glad it helped. Too bad I can't find all the photos to reload them .

Kotz? Did the change their name? It used to be called Zotz. Don is a great guy. I understand Ron Zitza now has a new racing-only shop at another place.

Did you take photos along the way that we could use to improve this thread?

Anyway, glad the A/C is working fine again

Originally Posted by Luv Jet Flyer
Jaime,
Thanks for the posts. They really helped me out as the Porsche Manual was somewhat uninformative. The repair took me about 17 hours but I was unfamiliar with the 964 and did several side jobs( painting, struts ect ) btw anyone know how to replace the lid struts wo removing the ac box? Next time, and I hope not to do it again, I think I could do it in about half the time.

I took it to Kotz Garage on SR 436 Orlando, to get it charged. I was surprised it held a vacuum since it was a major pain reattaching the ac lines to the expansion valve. I giggled all the way home at the cold air coming from my vents. It has not worked since I bought the car early March. I highly recommend Kotz and judging from the numbers of Pcars on the racks and in the lot, they have a following.
Thanks again,
Paul
Old 04-05-2010, 11:14 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Luv Jet Flyer
Jaime,

Thanks again,
Paul
Paul I am in Altamonte Springs. If you ever need to put your car on a lift let me know and you are welcome to come by the house. Jaime its about time to get everybody together again for a wrenching party

Quick Reply: Replacing Evaporator