Sponsored by:

'94 3.6T Instrument Display Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 06:41 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts
Default '94 3.6T Instrument Display Issue

I am wondering if I can get help on this. The battery was flat for a while and now connected it to a slow charger and now starts fine. However, I noticed that after you turn the engine off a part of the display in the dial remains illuminated and will not go off. The display is the one which is showing the outside temp, turbo boost, etc. depending on what you select. Is there something broken or maybe as the battery was dead for a while a plug in of the diags tool with clear-down and reset of codes etc should clear the display?

Old 09-08-2019, 10:10 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by LM964
I am wondering if I can get help on this. The battery was flat for a while and now connected it to a slow charger and now starts fine. However, I noticed that after you turn the engine off a part of the display in the dial remains illuminated and will not go off. The display is the one which is showing the outside temp, turbo boost, etc. depending on what you select. Is there something broken or maybe as the battery was dead for a while a plug in of the diags tool with clear-down and reset of codes etc should clear the display?
You are talking the on board computer optional on base models but standard in the turbo. Although they offer different readings for the turbo vs N/A cars. It sounds as though the car is not going into rest mode. I am assuming your windows still work long after you close the doors. Does it stay on after you lock the doors and do the interior lights turn off? I would start there and see. Could be why your battery drained. Could be the pin switches in the doors or another light frunk or engine bay not turning off. That would be controlled by the microswitch in the lock mechanism. With them open push and lock the locking mechanism and see if the lights turn off. If not that could be your problem.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:42 AM
bb964
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by LM964
I had the exact same problem and I believe the DIY fix is described here - https://www.bergvillfx.com/obcrepair
I got the transistors of eBay but then decided not to screw with it and sent the OBC tach to Palo Alto Speedometer, Inc. http://www.paspeedo.com/
Palo Alto service was fast and I am very satisfied with the results - The charge was $185+UPS.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:50 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks bb and cobalt. Really helpful pointers - what would we all do without rennlist

Will check these out and let you know how it goes. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
911Jetta (09-10-2019)

Quick Reply: '94 3.6T Instrument Display Issue